Loupe for 6x7

barry_r

<p>I have a specific question about the loupes that are purported to cover the full 6x7 frame (Mamiya, Schneider, etc.).</p>

<p>When using these loupes, do you see the entire frame with your eye in the central position of the lens, or do you have to move your eye position to view different parts of the frame?</p>

I have a 3x Schneider loupe for 6x7. I use it to view panoramic frames exposed on 135 film that measure 24mm x 66mm. When I view these transparencies through the loupe, I do "see the entire frame with [my] eye in the central position of the lens", however, naturally, you are "seeing" the entire frame with your peripheral vision, and you have to "look around" (without moving your head) to focus on different parts of the image. This is a magnifier after all - that's how it should work by design, no?

Or have I misunderstood your question?

<p>Giovanni - since you have one of these loupes, can you please address the specific question I asked?</p>

<p>Colin - 24mm x 66mm is less than the approximately 60mm x 70mm of a 6x7 frame, so the fact that you can see the entire frame doesn't address my question re. 6x7.</p>

Barry, maybe you should re-check the real dimensions of "6x7".

Yes, I can "see" the full width of my 66mm-wide frame through the loupe - whether it's in "portrait" or "landscape" orientation. So if 66mm is visible in any direction, you won't have any trouble with 6x7. 6x7 is what the loupe is designed for. I'm not sure why you are so suspicious of the loupe's coverage.

<p>Colin,<br>

I said "approximately." Actual size is 56mm x 67mm, so the diagonal is about 87mm. You said you are using film that is 24mm x 66mm. That has a diagonal of about 70mm. So the fact that you can see that entire frame does not mean that it would see the entire 6x7 frame.</p>

<p>Anyhow, I was not at any time suspicious of a 6x7's loupe's coverage, merely asking if such coverage is viewable at a single eye position vs. having to move the eye position to take in the full view. A simple question, I thought, that could be answered simply by someone that uses such a loupe.</p>

A simple question, that I keep answering for you!

The diagonals don't need to be considered. Draw it out on a piece of paper if you must. My Schneider loupe actually covers 7cm x 7cm, and, as I said, comfortably covers my 66mm-wide frames - whether they are in portrait or landscape orientation. Your frames are at most 67mm wide, so it will also cover them - whether they are in portrait or landscape orientation.

Now you can if you want continue to argue with what I am telling you as fact, but I won't answer the same question again.

<p>Barry,</p>

<p>I do not believe that there are any NEW loupes being made. Whatever you see are either remaining New Old Stock (NOS) being sold.</p>

<p>There were a handful (maybe -3?) of loupes that covered 6X7 film. I have a Mamiya Cabin 6X7 loupe that I use for my 6X6. Initially I was planning on buying into the a 6X7 camera, but stopped at with my Hasselblad. The loupe is now sold as Cabin 6X7 loupe USED or NOS on eBay.<br>

Here on Amazon it is available (Just one remaining)<br>

On eBay as NEW:<br>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130482675929?item=130482675929&rmvSB=true</p>

<p>Here are some theads you might want to read up on<br>

http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00MYwS<br>

https://majid.info/blog/going-all-loopy-about-loupes/<br>

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/145087-mamiya-3x-6x7-magnifier.html<br>

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-104932.html</p>

<p>What Collins mention regarding looking in the viewfinder at the OUTER edges is correct. There are no direct loupe that you can use to view straight down in the center.</p>

<p>The only ones I seen and HANDLED were the Pressman Rodenstock loupe that will more than cover a 4 inch x 4 inch area. <br>

NOT AVAILABLE as far as I know to the general public.<br>

Evan</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The Mamiya 6x7 loupe allows you to see the entire frame without moving the loupe. However it had a magnification of 2x or 2.5X, not 3.0, so you could see the entire frame without scanning your eye. A loupe is intended to examine the image. If you want to assess sharpness, I suggest an Hastings Triplet magnifier, 7.5x (preferred) or 10x. I have Mamiya loupes for 6x6 (2.5x) and 35 mm (4x), which come with both transparent and opaque skirts (never graduated to 6x7).</p>

<p>Mamiya loupes have a compound lens with gives a clear image from corner to corner. There is a little chromatic aberration at the corners.</p>