Nikon F3 - what does your film rewind sound like?

PatB

<p>Hi All, <br /> Just got a used Nikon F3 and just wanted to double check with other users that the film rewind mechanism behaves as it should.<br /> Here's a link to a short clip where you can hear and see the two things that worry me:<br /> 1. The sound of the shutter being cocked is very metallic/springy throughout, nothing like I've ever seen in other manual cameras. <br /> 2. The're is a slight jump of the camera's film pick up spool at the very end of cocking motion (best visible the third time round) but also tangible under the thumb.</p>

<p><a href=" /> <br /> What do F3 users think? Is that to be expected? <br /> Many thanks!<br /> Pat</p>

<p>Sounds unusual. Nothing like the smooth and quiet wind-on of my (much more battered) F3. Sounds like something scraping. I think you may have a piece of film stuck in the shutter grooves or somewhere else. Although the shutter appears to cock and release OK. Maybe the rewind button is partly stuck in? Or the multi-exposure "lever" partly operated? A bit of film under the take up spool?</p>

<p>Edit: I just wound on my F3 with the back open. Something I don't normally do, and it does have a slight "crinkling" sound as the wind on lever is operated. I put this down to the metal shutter blinds rolling and unrolling. With the back closed it sounds "normal". Also the take-up spool does jump a little at the end of its travel as it finds its detent position. There's a bit of tactile feedback through the leverwind, but again it's not anything I've noticed before as unusual.</p>

<p>Maybe your recording amplifies the cocking sound in an exaggerated way?</p>

<p>Thanks RJ. Hmm, it's much quieter when the back door is closed but that metallic sound is a bit odd. As you say, almost like scraping. <br /> What about that little "jump" at the end of the rewind cycle? Is that to expected? It's especially noticeable if you cock the shutter slowly. There's consistent resistance until it gets to the end of the stroke when it suddenly "jumps" to a physical stop.</p>

<p>Thanks RJ, your edit is reassuring. The recording does amplify the sound, especially the high frequencies. <br>

I guess that reading about the smoothness of the F3 mechanism left me expecting something butter smooth. Yes, it is slightly quieter with the back closed but the metallic quality is still audible. I've been mostly using cameras with cloth shutters so they will sound different by design. </p>

<p>If you want a scary shutter noise, then pick up an old Contax Patrick. The rangefinder ones with slatted-metal shutter blinds like roll-down security shutters. I've yet to find one that didn't squeal like a pig when the shutter was wound on and released. Maybe a job for WD-40?<br /> Kidding of course!</p>

<p>There should be a blanket restraining order preventing WD-40 from coming within 10 metres of any photographic equipment.</p>

<p>Well, not sure if it is a real quote, but a real man only needs two tools in life: duck tape to stop things moving, and WD40 to get them moving. So, a restraining order for WD40.... requires ducktaping the WD40?<br>

I cannot open the back of my F3 at the moment, but if the sound of the video was quite amplified, then I wouldn't worry too much. Enjoy the camera most of all!</p>

<p>Hmm, I've heard quieter cameras than this one, that's for sure. The camera looks clean with no signs of heavy use or damage. All the clips I've found of F3 sound much more quiet though. My Minolta x700 sounded more refined than this... <br /> <br /> Could I just double check again...<br /> If you try to wind the shutter really slowly, does it behave and sound the same? As I said, there are two "jumps" towards the end but only felt if cocking is done slowly. You can hear some crinkling while winding and then a slight ringing sound after the first jump and a "click" sound after the other. Here's another clip from above, I hope it will be audible now (no film in the camera, 1/60th with back closed):<br /> <br /> <br /><a href="

<p>and just for the sake of comparison, here's the same motion with camera further away - the sound is amplified quite a bit as you can see<br>

<a href="

<p>The sounds are much more pronounced and "metallic" than I remember from my F3 from about 2 years ago. I'm certainly no expert, but I do think a good CLA would work wonders for your camera. It sound to me like some of the basic lubrication has "dried out". I recently had a not dissimilar issue with a Canon P, sent it in for a CLA and it came back smooth and purring like a kitten - I almost thought I had a Leica in my hands. The repairperson said much of the old lubes were no longer fulfilling their fuction due to hardening or loss from the protected surfaces. If you love the camera otherwise, I'd say have a competent repairperson do the CLA. The F3 was my favorite of the older Nikon SLRs, being so versatile. </p>

<p>Allowing for some AGC and high-frequency boost on the sound, my F3 sounds very, very similar. The wind-on noise must be at least 20dB down on the shutter "clunk" with the camera back closed.<br>

I wouldn't worry about it Patrick. Use it 'til it falls apart or film becomes unobtainable. My money would be on the latter coming first.</p>

<p>Thanks for all your replies, I have just ran a test roll and will develop it later see whether it has any effect on taking pictures. <br>

Judging by the serial no. it is a 1999 model so not that old but perhaps a CLA could help indeed.<br>

Good to know it behaves and sounds in the same way. </p>

<p>Well, after all that pondering it turns out that the camera has a serious front focus issue. Ran one roll of film and it had an unusually high number of out of focus shots so I did some proper testing this morning and it's off by a couple of cm at near distances. It's going back. </p>

<p>That flange depth of the F3 can be tweaked with an allen key using the adjustment screw by the lens mount.<br>

In the old days that action was done in the factory and nobody, i mean nobody was messing with that screw outside factory or repair shop? I never heard of manual Nikon body with front focus issue. Ask your money back...<br>

Back in the 80s winding lever was THE ONLY part of F3 which felt behind regarding the quality of the design itself. At least people used to whine about it. In reality i never saw F3 with that malfunction. Well this isn't the most serious issue you got with this camera but altered flange depth is.</p>