Nikon Wednesday 2015: #41

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 700 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are <strong><a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">right here</a></strong>:<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km</a>. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three images per week, so share some work!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hello Nikon folk - a good Wednesday to all. Nothing too exhilarating this week, as most of my camera time was spent in fairly routine commercial work. But even in that sort of setting, some little things can draw the lens, between the planned-for shots. Here's a floor ring from an industrial car hauling trailer we were shooting. Had your eye on some bits and pieces of things? Share!</p><div>00dXIc-558835084.jpg.dd21fee8ec0e8ff25a7e31616c807aef.jpg</div>

<p>While in this company's lot, I don't usually break out the bigger, badder camera drone (close quarters and all). So the little quadcopter comes out. Here it is on it's way to get some aerials of the walk-on rooftops of a couple of these trailers, from only about 30 feet in the air. It's all about the perspective - and these little drones are a huge help in that way.</p><div>00dXIf-558835184.jpg.41edcb6abf4602649f1fe47fe95708b0.jpg</div>

<p>It can be challenging, in broad daylight and under a hard sun, to shoot the exteriors of these big white vehciles while also showing the interior (without that interior looking like a cave). When the trailers aren't powered up, we can't even turn on the relatively weak interior lights. So: Nikon's incredibly useful CLS to the rescue. Sure, I could have dug out the radio triggers and all ... but I just removed the SB-800 speedlight from the camera, put it in CLS slave mode and set it just inside the door of the trailer. The camera's built-in pop-up flash acted as a controller, and presto I had a convincingly lit interior/exterior in about 15 seconds, and no need for compositing/HDR in post. It just works! I've always loved the CLS features, and would really miss it if I strayed from Mother Nikon.</p><div>00dXIg-558835284.jpg.3f23ce1140d0fcaf5338e032ccc99831.jpg</div>

<p>Trees have grown a lot since Ansel Adams made the famous image from the Snake River Overlook in Grand Teton National Park in 1942 and the S of the river has been partially obscured for many years now. First storm of the season has just coated the top of the peaks with fresh snow.<br>

<br /> Nikon D810 with AF-S 16-35/4 VR at 31 mm, f/9, 1/125s, ISO 64</p><div>00dXJ5-558836184.jpg.36edba74f7b1aa5143aabb242f25dca8.jpg</div>

<p>Took my recently acquired D7100 to the last agricultural fair of the season here in NH. It is more delicate than my D300 in some respects (battery door, card door) but otherwise it handles well. Very happy with the jpegs coming out of the camera. Very little post processing needed which is a big plus to me.</p><div>00dXKt-558839884.jpg.f6d8ca053264f711ec313591ea642878.jpg</div>

<p>Anoder one, albeit a little older. Made in Geneva, Switzerland, at the CERN facility - the Atlas detector while it was still opened before the experiments started. Nikon D200 with Sigma 10-20mm lens. Wide open, handheld at 1/25s, no flash.</p><div>00dXLM-558840984.jpg.4714b9ecfd59c35d3de1b8100edcd024.jpg</div>