AE-1 Shutter Curtain Delay

tim_foerster

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I have posted a question regarding the AE-1 before (3/4 a year ago), but it is only now that I have fully identified the problem. The overall problem is the following: The curtain only opens when I use a shutter speed slower than 1/15. I have now realized that this happens, because there is a short <strong>delay</strong> in between the shutter release and the curtain actually opening. The delay is not a problem when I use a shutter speed of 2 sec, because the delay is only like 1/15 of a second. Obviously it is a problem when I use fast speeds like 1/60.<br>

Things I have done so far:</p>

<ul>

<li>I have checked both electromagnets on the bottom of the camera (MG2 and MG3) and they seem to work flawlessly</li>

<li>I am certain that the battery is good</li>

<li>I have tested this many times</li>

</ul>

<p>I hope somebody will be able to help me. Couldn't really find anything on Google when looking for the delay problem.<br>

Tim</p>

<p>I wonder if this is another manifestation of the infamous "Canon cough"? The mirror mechanism lubricants dry out, slowing down the whole operating cycle of the camera. Does it make a loud squealing noise when it operates? Have a look at a previous post:<br /> http://www.photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00dl6S</p>

<p>Or google "Canon Sqeal" or "Canon Cough".</p>

<p>Just a thought.</p>

<p>if this really causes problems for you- here is a suggestion.<br>

I was happy with my other cameras intil a friend gave me an ae-1. I used it to shoot a wedding taking advantage of the auto settings.<br>

Later, when this friend became gravely ill, he sent me many canon FD cameras. Both a and t series.<br>

I look at ebey for a few bits and pieces.<br>

I see that the ae-1 as well as other canon FD mount cmeras sell very inexpensively.<br>

I have a t-50 which has a metal shutter and two t-70's that are prectically being given away.<br>

consider buying another camera such as an ae-1 ae-1 program or a t5- or t-70.<br>

be advised that the t-5- is a P^S cam,era that takes fd lenses.<br>

only fd lensed can be used.<br>

I would not suggest spending money to get the ae-1 repaired , simply work around the probles it presents or use a different bodel fd camera<br>

vitit the Butkus site tpoo resd abou the limitations of capabilities of various FD mount models.<br>

BTW a cameraq with lens sells for about the same price as a camera body.</p>

<p>John, thanks for your help. However I am pretty sure that my AE-1 does not suffer from the 'Canon Cough'. The shutter sounds absolutely fine. I have looked at videos on YouTube of cameras having that problem and my camera doesn't sound like that.<br>

I might try lubricating it anyway just to be sure.<br /> Any other tips?</p>

<p>I've owned several AE-1s (and AE-1 Programs and A-1s) and I've never run across what you're describing. The Canon Squeal is a mirror box problem anyway and is not really related to the shutter. Sometimes the mirror is slow to flip up, which can cause a delay in the shutter releasing, but the shutter itself behaves normally. At any rate, if your AE-1 has this problem, you would definitely here the squeal.</p>

<p>Really, my advice would be just to buy another one. They're common on eBay or at sites like KEH (it'll come with a warranty if you buy from KEH). And they can be picked up for so cheap that it really doesn't make sense trying to get yours repaired -- unless it has some sort of sentimental value to you. You might even want to consider a step up. The A-1 is also very common on the used market, can be found for cheap, and is camera that has proved itself with the test of time. It's a remarkably robust camera and has quite a few features that the AE-1 lacks.</p>

<p>The original design concept of the A series cameras in an age of planned obselescance wasn't to build them to last forever and since it's more than 25 years since they ceased to be manufactured the fact that so many of them are still in working order is quite remarkable. I suggest unless you are prepared to pay to have your camera serviced by a professional repairer you buy another one that does work correctly.</p>

<p>The original design concept of the A series cameras in an age of planned obselescance wasn't to build them to last forever and since it's more than 25 years since they ceased to be manufactured the fact that so many of them are still in working order is quite remarkable. I suggest unless you are prepared to pay to have your camera serviced by a professional repairer you buy another one that does work correctly.</p>