Imperfections in Nikon F / F2 screens

ray .

I've got K and J screens for my Nikon F2, and both have imperfections. Sover Wong tells me that quality

control at Nikon in the '70's was a bit lacking. My K screen has circular lines on two corners that obstruct

the clear image somewhat-- the J screen has a darkened narrow strip along one side.

Apparently these imperfections are visible or not so visible by inspecting the screen out of the camera.

I see what looks like the same kind of flaws in some photos of screens for sale, but then again the J screen I purchased

didn't show anything until I viewed it through the camera viewfinder.

These are useable but not ideal. Does anyone have any more information about this or have an idea what percentage

of F screens Nikon made are flawed? I suppose "quality control" is a separate issue from what has been touted as the best

mechanical SLR ever made, Nikon F2.

Thanks in advance

<p>I can't think of a manufacturing defect that would cause that. (Which doesn't mean that there isn't one.)</p>

<p>It could be a design defect, such that they don't last forever. <br>

I wonder how long Nikon expected the cameras to last when they built them.</p>

-- glen

C Watson:

Screens that are sellable are often in very good to mint condition as it relates to wear and use.

If by quibble you mean a trivial issue then we disagree. The two screens I have are very useable as is, but it seems perfectly reasonable to want one that is clear across the entire frame.

glen:

It is not a wear or age issue.

It could be that a greater percentage of screens being sold now have hung around because some were

taken out of the camera for these issues or want of a different screen at the time they were new. The used

F2 I just got is the first one I've had and so far seems like a very solid camera and would appear to live up

to its reputation but for this relatively minor detail.

I don't know how long these cameras are destined to last. 100 years if someone is around to fix them?

Some may well outlast the availability of film and our own lifetimes.

<p>Ray--the F2 is a joy to use. And there ARE excellent "K" screens available for reasonable prices. A screen with an obvious defect certainly detracts from the view through the finder. I understand that the F3 screens will fit (I could be way off here)--and there are lots of F3 red dot K screens on the lists. My F2s all have the "A" screen which is good, too. Keep looking!<br>

Paul</p>

I don't think F3 screens will fit in an F/F2 (F/F2 screens are interchangeable) as the F3 screen has a tab on the rear edge for lifting it out, and I don't see how this would be accommodated in the F/F2. I have both sitting on my desk at home, so I might do the experiment this evening. My understanding is that, with a little surgery, the F3 "glass" can be installed in an F/F2 frame. However, this seems like an imperfect solution to me.

<p>I have to say, if there was a flaw/defect when the screens were originally purchased, they certainly would have been returned.</p>

<p>In my experience with Nikon, especially when it came to their Pro level cameras, they treated any possible flaw from the factory with ZERO tolerance. No questions asked, they replaced it; after all, they were in an intense battle with the Canon F1 offerings...</p>

<p>Now, these wonderful screens <strong>can be disassembled</strong>. There's an adhesive tape used to seal the two components from debris etc.<br /> But with age, the adhesive in the tape is beginning to decay and then Out-Gas.<br /> This can present odd optical issues depending on how much contamination has been deposited on the plastic and/or glass parts.</p>

<ol>

<li>Remove usually only two of the four screws from the long side; push it out from the opposite side.</li>

<li>Now peel the adhesive tape.</li>

<li>Dabbing a cotton swab in Naphtha, rub away the sticky substance left behind on to the sandwiched screen parts/edges.</li>

<li>Using cotton gloves for the following:</li>

<li>Don't rub the plastic component with anything, instead dip/soak it in safety solvent like Naphtha. This evacuates the out-gas contamination without much physical handling. Blow with purified canned air.</li>

<li>During the soaking, the other 'glass half' can be cleaned like a lens element.</li>

<li>When both halves have been cleaned, put them together and re-apply a new strip of clear tape.</li>

<li>Re-assemble into the frame and pop it back in your F2 !</li>

</ol><div>00ddNO-559735884.JPG.8d406f466d1cd310a3ac84fbfbf0f13f.JPG</div>

Gus's info there seems like it might relate to the darkened strip along the edge of my J screen.

I'm not sure how it explains the curved lines visible in two corners of my K screen.

At any rate, interesting post Gus, and thanks.