W/NW Pic O' The Week # 45

Uhooru

<p>Truly lovely, Brad.</p>

<p>Skeeter, I've tried half a dozen times to get a photo of that tree that I liked and have never been successful. Between the poison ivy and height of the knot, I've had a devil of a time getting into a stable enough position to get a good shot of it. I am drawn towards how it opens up like a flower. It was a terrible storm that brought it down but I'm glad it's been left there. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>poison ivy????? yikes.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, and lots of it. I gets hidden by the Turk's Cap but that area is full of poison ivy. I would probably have to climb up and balance on the log to get the shot. It's a great area for testing out lenses.</p>

<p>A month ago I encountered the most unpleasant family. They saw me (not wearing a ranger's uniform, as I was) and started asking me where the "real trails" were. They were bickering and complaining about there not being any "real trails". I was kind of beside myself. I see trails everywhere yet I didn't know what a "real trail" was. I still don't. I enquired and they told me that they just moved here from Oklahoma.</p>

<p>Last weekend, I'm framing up a large format shot further along in the same area when this Chinese woman comes up to me and asks the very same question: where are the "real trails"? I had spent a considerable amount of time framing and focusing this shot (I am a large format neophyte) and was just about to trigger the shutter when this shockingly unpleasant woman begins shouting this question at me, right in my face. "Where are the real trails at?!?!? Where are the real trails at?!?!"</p>

<p>It's the damndest thing I've seen. I took the photo and it came out but I've been rattled for days. I swear I left my Smokey Bear hat at home.</p>

<p>Terrific mood, Knut!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Jim, I thought it was obvious, but as nobody referred to it: cropping the upper line of the cast iron nipples out, and you count fifty...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's a fine point, sir. I am loath to crop but may have to make an exception. It would strengthen the image and symbolism. I had thought of it as a kind of flag so your suggestion is in line with my sense of the image.</p>

• 2 weeks later...