Would I be better off w/ a dedicated card reader?

<p >I have a Microsoft OS computer that has a SD/MMC slot. I use SD HC cards. I'm wondering if I should get a dedicated San Disk reader. It's not that the computer's slow, (I don't shoot enough to be concerned about down load speed) I just do not like the way the cards fit into the slot, they don't always go in straight, & have to be reinserted. Some times they don't connect w/ the program I want to load them into, & require reinsertion. I feel like I'm damaging the cards, but apparently I'm not, or at least so far.</p>

<p > Happy Holidays, and thank you for any suggestions, Jay Drew</p>

<p>I have six Windows PCs in my business, three of them have built-in SD card slots, one of these has quit working, so I always keep a (Sony) card reader handy, particularly as I need to read both SD and CF cards. I would recommend you do the same, the external reader is better made and is much easier to replace if it goes wrong!</p>

<p>I'm quite happy with my external readers. I always insert the cards before I plug them in. - I wish they still came with an USB cable attached permanently since I don't trust the tiny micro connections. In doubt get an USB 3 reader at least cable and plug will be a bit more solid and they are much faster when connected to USB 3 ports. I used to have more issues with internal readers on very old Windows (pre-XP) right now mine seem to work quite well though. - I gave the ones in my laptops a go recently.<br>

Anyhow whatever you'll get might break or get lost, so maybe buy 2 different ones to have backup. - I also noticed modern card readers aren't very user friendly so I ended marking the right slots with tape or nail polish. (Suggestion: mark the cable with the same tape, once you are at it.)</p>

A card reader built into a computer is a dedicated card reader just as well as one dangling on the end of a cable connected to that computer is, isn't it?<br>An external card reader is not easier to replace than a built-in one. In either case you get a new external card reader and plug that in the USB port.<br>It all depends on the quality of the reader. There are cheap and slow external and built-in readers that are prone to fail. And there are reliable and fast readers of both variety. If the thing you have (either external or built-in) works, there is no reason to change. If you suspect that the thing you have is not the best, get a different one.

<p>I think the OP's fear of damaging an SD card is a bit misplaced; I don't think these cards are easy to damage by the way they are built. Same applies to the card reader.<br>

In my experience internal card readers may sometimes not be recognized by the OS although newer Windows versions tend to be better in this respect. It never hurts to have a dedicated card reader at hand since these are more reliable IMHO. </p>

<p>I use a Sandisk USB 3 reader for convenience, since it fits all sizes I need - CF, SD and micro-SD - plus another I don't recognize. My laptop has a CF slot, but I haven't used it. It's important to insert the card straight every time, so a multi-size slot might not be the best thing to use.</p>