Considering P900

ussorca

<p>I like the idea of long reach without the expense/weight of another lens. May I have the opinions of those who have experience with the P900? Interested in both pros and cons, knowing that there are drawbacks to something so specialized. <br>

Sample photos, too.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Cons: small sensor (possibly only an issue for low light shooting although the sample low light photos on Nikon's website look pretty good, and if you shoot RAW and have good image processing software and are not making poster sized prints, this should not be an issue</p>

<p>Also, it is a bit bulky (large). Again, not an issue, especially if you are used to a DSL</p>

<p>The specs look impressive especially the powerful zoom, 2000mm equivalent.</p>

<p>Don't know if you have viewed this from Nikon:</p>

<p>http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-p900.html</p>

<p>Overall, it looks like a great camera!</p>

<p>Hello Charles, I have this camera and I can honestly say that I was stunned at what it can do. Not to say that every shot is a keeper but it takes pretty darn good shots. It takes very close macros and quite decent "normal" shots, although I do wish it shot RAW. The (automatic-switching) "optical" viewfinder is quite detailed and bright (unlike so many others that are blurry and dim. The grip is very "nikon-ish" and can accommodate my large hands. It has a 67mm <strong>glass</strong> lens & takes regular SLR lens caps plus filters. If you want an all-things-to-all-people camera that you can carry in a small bag, this is the one. It takes about .7 seconds between shots (which is quite fast) and has dozens of choices for taking photos (PASM etc.) including the "Moon" mode which focuses past infinity, Bird Watching plus many many more. Video is 1024 @ 60fps as well. I would buy it again.</p><div>00dlGU-560959184.jpg.d106ac3bb28ee2be505da98a1f28df94.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Charles,<br>

Before going for the P900 , you might also want to consider the all new Nikon DL24-500 f/2.8-5.6<br>

Maybe a less reach but a better sensor and possibly much faster focussing, ( we will have to wait for a review..) <strong><br /></strong><br>

And it produces RAW ( Nef) too : <br>

==> Still images: JPEG, RAW (NEF) (Nikon’s own format); Movies: MP4 (Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Audio: AAC stereo)</p>