Would you be interested in some light travel primes?

Ian Rance

I have always liked to use compact prime lenses but when Nikon put AF-S into their fast primes first, I got those and

haven't really gotten to the f/1.8 AF-S prime bandwagon, although I do have the 20/1.8 (which is super light weight for

what it is, and about 1/3 of the weight of the 14-24/2.8). In one year I've already shot many times more frames with it than

I did in several years of ownership of the heavy zoom.

I also got the 300/4 PF which is a great travel lens. I would like to see 105, 135, and 180/2.8 primes in AF-S but for some

reason Nikon has only given us zooms in this range in recent years; the 70-200's are great but not as compact for the speed than primes

could be. I do use the 105/2 DC which is lighter weight and faster than the behemoth 105 VR Micro. I do like the 70-200/4 but sometimes I need and prefer larger apertures without sacrificing compactness.

<p>always an interesting question.................and I suppose the most important question is, are you traveling to make great photographs or just photographing on your travels? or somewhere between?</p>

<p>Personally I don't find my D800 too big, too heavy or unsuitable for travel but when you have to team it up with a big bag of gear that's when the problems start - my solution was a small cheap zoom 24-85mm 3.5/4.5 because in Lightroom the lens profile action and massive cropping potential effectively sorts out its shortcomings. The greatest problem out and about with a D800 or a decent sized DSLR is its effect on people. So I now all I take is a small Timbuktu bag, with the Nikon with one lens and a Fuji X100 (doesn't cause alarm at all).</p>

<p>The advantages of a modern digital camera over film really gets down to infinitely variable ISO, something not to be under-estimated.</p>