Where to find lenses for Linhof Technika 2x3 6x9 Technika IV

kaliuzhkin

<p>E-bay! Standard large-format lenses will be suitable, of course on the correct Linhof panels, which you will need to buy separately. What lens do you have now and what don't you like about it? LF lenses basically come in 4-element (Tessar-type) and 6-element (Schneider Symmar. Nikkor SW, etc.) types. There are also (very rare) Planars in the 100 to 105 standard focal length. not really necessary except for hand-held press work.</p>

<p><strong>Where to find lenses for Linhof Technika 2x3 6x9 Technika IV</strong><br>

<strong> </strong><br>

Please excuse my incomplete original post.<br>

I bought this camera on eBay. It’s current lens and shutter are: Carl Zeiss Jena s/n 1205552 Tessar f/4.5 10.5cc; Compur Nagel. The cam does not have the lens nor camera serial numbers (81848) but I can live with that because I prefer ground glass focusing to rangefinder focusing.<br>

I want a shutter having electronic flash synchronization and I would like a lens that is more like an original lens. <br>

Yes, I’m aware of eBay opportunities but eBay doesn’t have anything right now and I would also like to see what used dealers have. A place like KEH or B&H, but neither of them have anything now. I'm in NYC but can shop by internet.<br>

Thank you,<br>

Kaliuzhkin<br>

</p>

<p>Danek, this<br>

http://motamedi.info/serial.htm<br>

dates your lens to 1930. It was undoubtedy "liberated" from a folding rollfilm camera. A supercheap (and surprisingly good) option for you would be to do the same with the lens and shutter from a Kodak Sterling II camera (you could get one for $20), which has an f4.5 Anaston lens (triplet design) which works well and would be something to use while you save up for one of the lenses I mentioned. Other possibilities are a Dokter (sic) Tessar (modern coated lens) or a Fujinon. </p>

<p>In alphabetical order, Fuji, Nikon, Rodenstock and Schneider all made modern (six element) normal lenses for 2x3 (6x9 in metric). 100 and 105 mm, depending on maker and vintage. eBay is full of them. Fujinon-W, Nikkor-W, Sironar, Symmar respectively. All are much better than good enough.</p>

<p>There are also modern and older tessar type normal lenses for 2x3. Kodak 101/4.5 Ektar, Wollensak 101/4.5 Optar/Raptar, Zeiss Jena and Oberkochen 100 and 105 Tessars, Schneider Xenars, ...</p>

<p>And there's the heliar type 105/3.7 Ektar.</p>

<p>eBay is infested with these lenses, you just have to look for them. The tessar types and the 105/3.7 Ektar have less coverage than the six element types so are less suitable for cameras with movements, e.g., the Technika.</p>

<p>Here's another idea: My current lens/shutter is Carl Zeiss Jena s/n 1205552 Tessar f/4.5 10.5cc; Compur Nagel.<br>

How about if I keep the lens (4 elements, right?) and replace the shutter. If so, how do I (or a technician) do it? Where do I get a suitable shutter? Or, could a technician synchronize the Compul Nagel shutter I now have?</p>

<p>I'd need measurements of your shutter to be certain, but it is very probably a #0 size. The threads of lens cells have been standardised for a long time - it should be possible to unscrew the front and rear groups by hand (if necessary, after wrapping an elastic band around them for grip) and screw them into a #0 Compur or Copal shutter. Any technician could also fit X synchronization to your present shutter. The cost of this would probably be about the same as buying a secondhand modern shutter.</p>

<p>Well, YMMV, but I disagree. Horsing around with a replacement shutter would be throwing good money after bad.</p>

<p>Danek's current lens is a very old uncoated Tessar, which is not in the same league as a modern lens, or even any decent postwar coated lens. If you plan to take pictures, the best and easiest course of action is to replace the whole lens in shutter, like everyone suggested before.</p>

<p>If you want a lens that's original to the 1960ish Technika IV, it would probably be something like a coated Xenar in a 0 shutter, which you should be able to find on ebay. The best deal, which Mr Fromm already suggested, might be an Ektar, although it's not 'original' to the Technika and the shutter would probably not have a PC socket. Ektars are excellent lenses and sell very cheaply. If the shutter needs an overhaul, google Flutot's Camera.</p>

<p><em>replacement shutter would be throwing good money after bad</em><br>

I in turn have to disagree. The OP basically has to decide whether he likes the look of an uncoated lens or not. When I was a student, I used a 1937 Rolleiflex Automat with an uncoated Tessar, later (and now) I have a Rolleiflex T with a coated Tessar, and apart from the better control of flare with the coated lens, I would say the optical performance is virtually identical. If the OP wants to see a significant gain in optical performance, he should go for a 6-element lens (Schneider Symmar or similar), which has a flatter field at larger apertures and more covering power.</p>

<p>Thanks for all this useful information.<br>

The camera works with the current lens. It's just that its not synchronized for flash and I want to upgrade the lens to a 6 element one. I have two other cameras, a Voigtlander Avus and a Century Graphic, with lenses and shutters, but that wouldn't be a lens upgrade. <br>

I think I'll wait until I can afford a lens upgrade.<br>

Meanwhile, a question about CLA. I have never done a CLA on any of my equipment except that a Nikon lens body was repaired. Should I do CLAs?<br>

My equipment is cameras: Nikon F, Nikon F3HP, Nikon D300, Linhof Technika IV 23, Century Graphics and two Voigtlander Avuses. In addition to one lens for each camera, I have a bunch of Nikon 35mm prime lenses. Do I regularly perform CLAs on all cameras and lenses, just the lenses, or what?</p>

<p>If you are an amateur enthusiast shooting modest numbers of pictures, I would say that it was fine to approach maintenance on an as-necessary basis, in other words “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!”. As long as shutter speeds are accurate, meters are working properly and aperture mechanisms and film winders are functioning smoothly and without strange noises, I would leave well alone.</p>

<p>How about this lens?<br>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322022852086?euid=0d530625e3c94c02be5f43c13a0350e2&cp=1&exe=13926&ext=35632&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext<br>

The seller wrote, "The dimensions of this board is 96mm x 98mm.<br />The shutter is Synchro-Compur."<br>

So, I would have to find a 2x3 Linhof Technika IV lensboard. Once I do, can I readily install it or would I need a technician?<br>

Oh, do I need a Compur 0, 1, etc. lensboard?</p>

<p>Looks good - I do not know if the lens board is compatible, it might be, measure the board you have. You can install the lens yourself, size is #0, a lens wrench aka slot ring key is a very good idea, the Chinese make some good ones which are inexpensive.</p>

<p>The Fujinon looks OK too, it just apparently has a small mark on the glass. Shutter size would again be #0. Just to be clear - you are very unlikely to find the lens you want already mounted on the right panel - you will almost certainly have to buy a lens, possibly on the wrong panel, and change it over to the right panel. Once again, the Chinese have an answer with cheap copies of standard lens panels - if you have a lens panel left over which you can't use, you can sell it on e-bay for a few $$.</p>