Use Nikon F-mount lenses on Olympus OM-2?

wogears

<p>Hello!<br>

I know there are/were adapters from Oly lenses to Nikon (using an optical element), but is/was there any way to mount a Nikkor on an OM? I do NOT want to have the Nikon mount removed or altered; it would just be nice to use something like my 55mm f1.2 AI on an Olympus non-digital body.</p>

<p>The Nikon F mount has a 46.5mm flange-to-film/sensor distance. The Olympus OM mount is 46.0mm, i.e. 0.5 mm shorter. If there is an adapter, it has to be no thicker than 0.5mm or you won't be able to focus that 55mm/f1.2 AI to infinity.</p>

<p>On the reverse side, I suppose those Olympus film SLR lenses cannot focus to infinity after adapted onto Nikon bodies.</p>

Les, once you introduce optical elements, you have a teleconverter. You lens is no longer a 55mm/f1.2 with a

teleconverter, which degrade the lenses. I would say why bother with all that trouble. Olympus film SLRs use the same

film as Nikon. Those film bodies are dirt cheap and so are old Olympus lenses.

<blockquote>

<p>Les has zillions of cameras he just wanted to use that OM-2. I am not sure he wanted to take a picture.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>He does? Yes, I wanted to take pictures. It was the Oly to Nikon conversion that required optical elements--Nik to Oly would NOT, as the flange to film distance is greater on Nik than Oly.<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>know there are/were adapters from Oly lenses to Nikon (using an optical element)...<br>

It was the Oly to Nikon conversion that required optical elements</p>

</blockquote>

<p>or one could just change the mount on the Zuiko lens - no need for an adapter with an optical element:<a href="http://leitax.com/OlympusOM-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html"> http://leitax.com/OlympusOM-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html</a><br>

They don't seem to offer a F-mount-to-OM conversion - which theoretically should be possible.</p>

<p>Les,</p>

<p>While in theory a Nikon F lens will mount on an Olympus, as Shun has stated it is only 1/2mm difference in thickness. The adapter would not be strong enough to support the Nikon lens.</p>

<p>The Leica M adapters are 1mm thick and that is about the minimum thickness an adapter can be without breaking.</p>

<p>If you make the adapter strong enough to support the Nikon lens it will not focus to infinity.</p>

<p>Better choices would be a Contax C/Y, Pentax S, Pentax K, Canon FL/FD, or Minolta SR film bodies to adap5t a Nikon lens to.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I've got to agree with Craig. Just get a Nikon film body to fit the lens!<br>

The OM2, in its basic form, offers no more functionality than an FE or FE2, and they can be picked up for about the same cost as a 'Blad film magazine. You get the similarity of use?</p>

<p>The OM series were notorious for having leaky mirror seals even when they were new.</p>

<p>I would imagine that Les already has Nikon film SLRs, perhaps multiple ones. It sounds like he just wants to play around mounting his 55mm/f1.2 on an Olympus body. However, even if there is such an adapter, one that is only 0.5mm in thickness, as dictated by the flange distance difference, is kind of fragile. Not sure it is a good idea to mount a relatively heavy f1.2 lens on it.</p>

<p>Shun has it correct. I have Nikon film bodies, but I like the light weight of the Olympuses. It would just be a fun thing, and useful in low light to be able to use my fast Nikon lenses (55 f1.2 and 85 f1.4). Appears to be impossible, however, but I think I'll survive my disappointment. :)</p>