AE Power Winder shows no signs of life

p_c10

<p>I've got an AE Power Winder FN I'd like to sell, but I'm not sure if it works or not. I no longer have a camera to attach it to for testing.<br>

I've placed four fresh AA batteries in it but it shows no signs of life. Should I assume it's dead or must it be attached to a camera to work?<br>

Thanks for any help the forum can provide.</p>

<p>I have to go to work, so I don't have time right now to horse around with my power winder, but: it ordinarily has to be on the camera in order to receive the electronic signal which tells it to wind.</p>

<p>That said, I don't know if there's an easy way to simulate that signal off the camera, using a 6V battery. Maybe some Canon FD technician is around who would know.</p>

<p>This thing is, IMHO, the single most useful accessory for the Canon F-1N.</p>

<p>Yes, clean the contacts first. With a lot of motor drives -- and I don't know if this is true with the AE Winder FN, but it's worth a shot because it's easy enough to test -- switch the winder on and just take a nickel coin and lay it across the electrical contacts. If the winder spins, it will most likely work OK. There is the matter of the winder stopping properly for each frame, but typically I've found that if it spins it will also stop where it's supposed to.</p>