Sony a7r/a7s ?

megan_stone

<p>Any thoughts on the Sony A7r or A7s for wedding and theatre photography?<br>

I have a nikon D700 that i use for my portrait work. Now going into weddings and theatre .. I'm literally broken after a job. Especially a full day on a wedding. With the various heavy lenses.<br>

I really need a lighter but high quality camera .. and looking into the Sony.<br>

Feedback?</p>

<p>You might be frustrated by the AF systems on those bodies in low light. But it might also be worth looking into how you're carrying your equipment. I highly recommend something (like a rig from Think Tank) that puts the mass down on your hips. Can make all the difference in the world (along with some daily work with a couple of 5-pound free weights!).</p>

The low light AF performance of my Olympus E-M5 on static (non moving) subjects is very good and that

mirrorless camera was introduced almost 4 years ago. The AF performance on the current generation of top

end mirrorless cameras is even better. With respect to Sony FF "E" mount cameras, you will need to make

sure that the lenses you will want are currently available and when you add it all up, see if the weight savings of

that system, compared with a Nikon DSLR, is worth switching.

<p>I neither own a Nikon nor shoot heavy SLR lenses. - Matt's workout suggestion makes a lot of sense - I noticed that I somehow feel my spine after just doing half a shift of table tops, with only a single camera and lens hanging from me, which leads me to the conclusion that I must be cramping while trying to stand steady for focusing or subconsciously bent for framing. Its the same feeling as when I drove cars with not yet properly adjusted seats. - I suppose guided workouts could help me, if they lead to habit breaking. There seem to be rehab focused gyms everywhere these days and lets hope their coaches know more than how to counterweight slouching at a desk.<br>

I haven't tried the A7 series yet. From purchasing Fujis I learned: handling a camera in an electronics store says nothing about event photography usability, until you mount seriuos ND filters (or whatever you have light eaters wise in that size).</p>

I don't have any wedding experience but I do have a very bad back and I used to use a Canon 5D and 24-105L lens

which isn't THAT heavy but is too heavy for me now. That said, I have a Cotton Carrier rig where the camera slides onto a

turn and lock belt and also has a strap connecting it. It allows the weight to be carried on the hip unless I'm shooting.

Surprisingly even with my back, I can actually still use the heavier camera with the CC strap system.

Usually these days I use a Leica M on an over the shoulder strap which also helps with the weight (though the M is lighter

than the 5D). But I guess what I'm saying is that the modern strap systems really do make an incredible difference in

terms of what you can carry comfortably. CC has a 2 camera rig as well. It's not anti-gravity but it might be worth trying.

<p>Hi Megan. I've extensively used a Sony A7R for various work including weddings. My shooting partner also uses a Sony A7 camera for weddings and events and we agree on the following:</p>

<p>The smaller Sony cameras are a mixed bag of advantages and possible disadvantages ... all of which depend on your level of involvement with a camera, what focal lengths you prefer, how fast of a maximum aperture you want for lenses, whether you use flash, and how much resolution you actually need.</p>

<p>Obviously size/weight are an advantage. The disadvantage if such a small camera is that many of the better AF lenses now being made for the Sony FE mount are large (they still have to cover a Full Frame sensor). The result can be an unbalanced rig that's tough on the wrist. Be sure to study what native lenses are available for the FE mount Sonys. Also note that the zooms are f/4 maximum aperture.</p>

<p>There is a considerable difference between the original 36 meg A7R that I use, and the newer 43 meg A7R-II. The A7R-II, being new, is around $3,200. Both are a bit of over-kill for weddings. IMO, the A7s was aimed more at video folks than still shooters. while 43 meg may be over-kill, 12 meg may be a bit anemic for all around still work.</p>

<p>Sony does make the A7 and now the A7-II which is 24 meg full frame, and may be the better choice for your intended use. It is also a bit more affordable compared to the A7R-II or the A7s.</p>

<p><strong>Here are a few things I found troubling about my Sony Mirror-less experiences, especially for wedding and candid photography applications:</strong></p>

<p>The Sony working ergonomics and user interface of these cameras are unnecessarily complex and ill thought out. Even the most ardent supporters of these cameras admit that the menu is incredibly complex and laid out in a mysterious manner even for basic functions ... and the array of tiny control buttons scattered all over the camera can be confusing at the most inopportune moment ... not great at a fast paced wedding.</p>

<p>All models of the Sony A7 series use an electronic viewfinder (EVF). The cool aspect of that is that if you select "setting effect ON" in the menu, then you get what you see through the viewfinder: <em>(i.e., if the shot would be over-exposed, it'll be over-exposed in the viewfinder).</em> The disadvantage with an EVF is that you cannot instantly view the actual result on the LCD. If the camera is set to allow instant review, it also does a frozen shot in the EFV, which is unbelievably disorienting. The solution is to turn off the instant review forcing you to press a button to see the LCD ... a slow, cumbersome way to work in low light situations.</p>

<p>By far, the most irritating thing I found with the Sony A7R is the lag from when you press the shutter button to when the camera takes the image. I do a lot of "decisive moment" candid work at a wedding and found the Sony to be almost unusable for this application compared to almost any current DSLR. It is the reason I stopped using mine for weddings ... too many missed timing shots. </p>

<p>The newer A7-II and A7R-II has mitigated the lag somewhat by allowing the user to set what is called electronic shutter ... but that setting also limits some other functions. Even with this set, the camera is not as responsive as a decent DSLR ... yet. Mirror-less Sonys will get there in future I'm sure.</p>

<p>If you want the Sony, then I suggest the 24 meg A7-II over the A7R, A7s, or the newer II versions of them. However, do study what FE mount AF lenses are available to meet your specific needs. </p>

<p>Another possible solution for you is to explore the very well received Nikon D750 which is lighter weight yet very advanced and responsive ... and the Nikon f/1.8 series of excellent prime lenses which are smaller/lighter.</p>

<p>http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/dslr-cameras/1543/D750.html?CID=SEM-Q116-Google-Nikon-_-DSLR-_-Enthusiast-_-D750</p>

<p>Hope this helps,</p>

<p>- Marc</p>

<p> <em> </em></p>

<p> </p>