artist's choice...

deantaylor

<p>Barry and Louis--I've begun going through the over four-hundred photos...quite a remarkable display of imagination,<br>

fortuitous captures...</p>

<p>just one for now: Time and Life photographer Ormond Gigli found a willing subject in a group of tenements<br /> slated for demolition--directly across from his Manhattan studio, no less...The salient feature that may have<br /> prompted the artist in him was the fact that every single window had been removed/destroyed: voila! why<br /> not position a model in each each now-vacant space, party-colored apparel, a Rolls parked in front...</p>

<p>...his Muse provided the cue, the project unfolded in his mind's eye--but the timing! 24 hours to bring a<br /> mini-Theatre production to fruition...yet (and, as the old Disney tune reminds us) 'like a bolt out of the<br /> blue, fate steps in and sees us through' ...the narrative accompanying the image fills in the particulars:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>'Then my assistant came in and said: "Ormond, you'd better get the camera up on the fire escape. There are people filling up the windows and more coming in taxis." All of a sudden it was happening.'</p>

</blockquote>

<p>http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/may/01/ormond-gigli-best-photograph-women-windows</p>

<p>one heartfelt coda to this fine photographer's 'personal best' pick: after a highly successful career in<br>

NYC working for several noted journals, and doubtless thousands of film captures in his esteemed portfolio,<br>

he allows (and fifty-plus years after the fact): 'I still smile when I look at it' [!].</p>

<p>moral of the story? if a creative lightning strikes in but one singular, graced moment in a career, celebrate<br>

your great good fortune--fate has been kind to thee...</p>

<p>Yes, Dean, what should we do, if we did not have the Guardian. One of the few newspapers in English still worth reading - and this series of photographs and the almost always interesting stories behind is a gem. (Always click on the images to get the full story!). <br>

I would like it book form.</p>