Is it possible to develop your own E6?

rokkor fan

Hi, I am considering investing in a digital darkroom, but processing

my own B & W film to reduce my reliance on external labs. I recall

from school (about 20 years ago!) that processing B & W film is

relatively simple.

What I wonder is if it is possible to develop E6 in a similar

manner? Can it be done in the home? If so, what is required, and an

estimate of the costs of setting up the process would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Antony Hands

E-6 is a six step process, even if i'm not mistaken in the lower temp Tetenal kits. The kits aren't cheap, and the big advantage is that you're controlling the variables and ultimately the quality. If you can't find a local lab with a dip and dunk system that you can trust, home processing should be more of a consideration. p.s., you can do the processing in the same type of mini-tanks that b+w is done in, but I would recommend using to different ones for each process due to E-6's bleach step, which can be fatal to b+w film in the case of contamination.

I do all my own. It is not difficult, you simply must be exact. There are easy 3 step kits from Tetnal, Beseler and others. Since 9/11 it became impossible to ship exposed film to my NY lab with any surity or safety. I shoot far too much to use FedEx economicaly. Temp control must be exact and repeatable. I use mostly Kodak chem. and a Jobo autolab, but all you really need ia a reliable water supply, a Nikor type tank, and a very good thermometer.

It is as simple as B/W but as stated, your temp has to be exact! A large pan of

100 degree water to bathe all the chemicals will work fine for awhile. I used to

do it all the time. Stick with Kodak 6 step and you slide will be great. No sense

in paying more for pushing like I would do most of the time. A 5-10% push will

really make your whites snappy and your colors bright. After awhile, you'll

probably want to consider a JOBO...

Antony,

I did E6 at home for a while. I used a jobo for temp and consistancy control and got very good results. The minuses I found are: (A) It is a long process, my old legs got tired by the end of the second batch each evening. (B) I do not do huge volumes and so the chemicals would go bad very quickly, I bought Tetenal and I don't think I ever used a full set without throwing a quarter of the mix away.

My local lab put in a new E6 line and that pretty much made me decide to switch back to letting them process for me.

Good luck,

Hi all and thanks for all of the assistance. I have decided to get the gear to do B & W processing first, and spend some time trying that out before branching into E6. It is, however, great to know that when I do progress to slide that I have support here.

Best wishes and thanks

Antony Hands

I've been doing my own e6 for 3 years now (using a $300 rotary processor). I use 3 bath Tetenal chemistry. It takes me 90minutes to process a batch (1 to 8 rolls), that is including cleaning up afterwards. I usually don't process less then 3 rolls at a time. During high volume shooting periods I process 16-24 rolls at a time (2-3 batches) and reuse chemistry aggresively. I've never had a problem even when I went beyond the chemisty capacity (I did up to 4 batches in the same chemistry). At this volume, the savings are significant.

For example, to process a 8 film batch I need 1 liter of solution. I use that for 4 batches. A one liter kit is about $25-30. It goes to about $1 per roll.

WARNING!!! reusing chemistry requires VERY good washing between baths.

Any plusses doing your own E-6 process ??

To me, I do not have to resort to anger management whenever the lab scratches my slides. This is the main reason I resorted to home processing as every now and then, the lab would scratch a roll.

Though this is the only plus I could think off, this is enough for me to go through the labor of home processing.

Everyone should try doing their own E6 at least once - it's a real trip to see all that lovely color coming out of your own personal tanks!

Just as taking instrument flight training will improve the precision of even a weekend pilot - running some E6 now and then will improve your precision and attention to detail when doing B&W.

The biggest drawbacks to home-brew E6 are: chemical life (as mentioned, you need to be able to run about 12 rolls within a couple of weeks to get full use of the chemistry) - and dust, since most labs have ultra-clean drying environments. A heated, filtered drying tank/bag/cabinet solves that last item.

• 3 months later...

Of course it is possible. I don't know where in the world you are, but in the UK it's possible to buy small/ medium kits to DIY from about 90p per film (that's about $1.30 if you're in the USA). The company that I work for also make a manual film processor that controls the temp to either +- 0.2 or 0.1 degrees depending on the model, which cost either £215 or £325 respectively inc Tax etc. One final word of advice - stick to 3 bath kits. The quality is superb, and it takes less than half the time of the 6 bath. You also stand more chance of keeping everything at the right temperature.

Matt

ps. if you process more than 20 films / month, then the cost per film goes down to around 76p!

• 1 month later...
The small kits are the four roll kits. Around here they aren't expensive but they aren't cheap either. From memory the Agfa kit is $13 Canadian or about $9.50US. OTOH you could get the 5litre single use Kodak kit for about $65Canadian. That kit is supposed to do 40 rolls. People seem to claim the conentrates have reasonable lives. Ask me end of the summer when I get enough film exposed to make it worthwhile.