35mm Negatives- Looks for Suggestions

Greg M

<p>I am using the Print File 35mm negative storage pages to store my negatives (why "only" spaces for 35 frames when 35mm film has 36 exposures per roll?).</p>

<p>On well, on to my question. Does anyone else think these pages can be the source of scratches across negatives?</p>

<p>When I first cut my film after processing and scan a few prior to storing the negatives, I have rarely seen the tiny, almost invisible scratches at least partially running across a negative. It's seems way more often that I see those when removing a negative from those holders that they start showing up on scans.</p>

<p>Is everyone else using these holders or something similar, or is there another, better (safer?) storage solution you are using?</p>

<p>Cloning in Photoshop does the job, but not having to deal with it would be even better, and I'm pretty darn sure the source is neither the Contax IIA or Leica M4 bodies I'm using. I would love to find a source to the soft glassines labs used to always return negatives in.</p>

<p>I hate using the Print File sleeves, because I find the same thing. Any storage system that requires you to slide negs in and out (and in fairly tight-fitting slots) makes no sense to me.</p>

<p>I would love to use glassine envelopes or similar, but haven't found such a thing (at least reasonably priced and readily accessible.) I shoot 120 as well as 35mm, so it would be good to have a solution in multiple sizes.</p>

<p>Obviously I am interested in what suggestions folks have...</p>

<p>I've used PrintFile neg sleeves for decades, for 35 mm, 120 and 4x5, and have never had an issue with scratches, so I'm not sure what is causing your problems. As for why the standard 35-7B holds 35 and not 36 negatives, it's because it is designed to contact print on 8x10 paper. There are also versions that hold 6 strips of 6 negatives, and if you're not making contact sheets in a conventional darkroom that would be more convenient for you. As for glassine, I stopped using them a long time ago because I found that the glassine was damaging my negatives while in storage for a year or two. Most glassine is fairly low quality paper and is often acidic, usually a bad thing for B&W photo materials.</p>

Maybe there's just some way/angle I insert and pull them out. I don't know. I definitely wait long enough after processing

that the emultion surface is good and dry so it is not as easily scratched.

I never see the 6x6 negative holders for sale locally. Guess I'll just have to order online.

<p>Look into mylar or polypropylene film sleeves that open to place the negative in without sliding it along the material. http://www.archivalmethods.com/product/side-lock-film-sleeves is one example. Been using them for years and no complaints. I keep them in file folders http://www.archivalmethods.com/product/negative-file-folders in storage boxes http://www.archivalmethods.com/product/hinged-lid-boxes.</p>

<p>To answer your first question, PrintFile makes several varieties of slide and negative pages. For negatives, I used the ones that hold six strips of six frames, so they are available to handle 36 frames. You just have to buy the ones that suit your needs/preferences.<br /><br />Like Andrew, I've used them for 40 years and never had a problem with scratching. PrintFile pages are an industry standard for negative and slide storage. I've used them for decades and so do pretty much all other photographers I know and most of the newspapers I worked at. In my experience they are absolutely safe.</p>

<p>Gotta agree with the others on Print File sleeves. Been using them for 25 years with no evidence of scratching on my negatives and unmounted slides. I do my own developing on my B&W negs and unmounted slides, and I make sure to wait long enough for them to "cure" before I cut and insert them into the pages. Hasn't been a problem.</p>

<p> </p>

In my experience, it doesn't matter. Almost anything works. The sheets made by various manufacturers will all do. So get ones that are affordable, available and suit your demands (different sizes are available that take different lengths of film strip, and - important - will or will not fit all binders or boxes).

<p>Another negative (pun intended) for PrintFiles - horrible things,as the OP suggested. A client sent me negs in these - added an hour to the job extracting / returning without damage.<br>

The clinging effect guarantees any stray grit will scratch film.<br>

The side lock mylars in the link posted above would be very fit for purpose.<br>

Glassines : I have negatives in these back to the early 1960's which are fine. The trick is to ensure the base side of the film contacts the glued seam,if any.</p>