D7200 vs D7100 questions

daniel_smithson

<p>The WiFi is useful for remote control of the camera from a smartphone - if you can find an app that works! Nikon's free WUA app does work and connects easily, but it's fairly basic. There's nothing to moan about for free though!</p>

<p>I can't compare the D7100 to the D7200 since I've never owned the D7100. All I can say is that I was impressed with the D7200's AF speed and its low-light ability. It's only about 1 stop behind the D750.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What would be the features in the D7200 you'd like to upgrade for? What do you miss in the D7100 that you hope the D7200 would fix? We don't all have the same needs, so what is worth the upgrade for one person may be a useless feature for somebody else. It would be more useful if you narrow down your question to what is important to you.<br>

<em>(Note: I have neither camera, based on reviews, I'd get the D7100 since older model is cheaper, and the D7200 offers nothing extra that I would actually need - but that's me, so that's not too telling)</em></p>

<p>I do have only the D7100 - the temptation of the D7200 are the larger buffer, improved AF, and better high-ISO performance, likely due to the improved processing power of the newer Expeed processor. Since I don't really like the ergonomics of either body, I am not running out to trade the D7100 for the D7200 though.</p>

<p>Quite surprised no one has torn down a D7200 to answer that lingering question: Toshiba or Sony sensor?</p>

<p>The sensor is reported to have external connections similar to the sensor in the D7100, i.e., Toshiba. Known Sony sensors have a different external connections and appearance. But AFAIK Sony just bought back Toshiba's sensor business so they're all Sony now. Or, if you ask Nikon they're all Nikon sensors. Not that it matters who makes the chip; the important thing is the image quality.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>to pay quite a bit to look at the details</p>

</blockquote>

<p>$7400, in fact. Would be a whole lot cheaper to buy a D7200 and have a go at the tear-down oneself!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Not that it matters who makes the chip; the important thing is the image quality.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly. Isn't the D7100 Toshiba sensor accused of showing banding when shadows are pushed excessively - like 5 stops or so? No such issue with the D7200 - at least I haven't read about any. I also haven't had the need to push ANY image 5 stops. I "rescued" an image once that was about 3 stops under - and that had been taken with a lowly D200. Didn't see banding - but there certainly was more noise than I liked.</p>

<p>I have the D7000, D7100 AND THE D7200 as well as a D750 AND 800E.<br>

When I went from the D7000 to the D7100, I did not see much difference. When I went to the D7200, I saw a night and day difference. The autofocus speed and accuracy is something to behold. Amazing. As for the sensor, who really cares. I do know that they are different. The DR is greater in the D7200 and the metering is also a tad different. In my D7000, D7100 I often need to set EV at +1/3-2/3. Not so with the D7200. It has so much range, that I set it at 0 or even -1/3 EV. Same as my D750. In fact the only two real differences I see from the D7200 and the D750 is group focusing that I love to death. (I keep hoping Nikon adds this to the D7200 via firmware) and High ISO PERFORMANCE. I would put the D750 AT A FULL STOP if not more better in that. Of course DOF is also different. In other words, the D7200 is a real beast. Leaps ahead of the D7100 in my opinion. If you want to see various images with all these bodies, here is my flickr page. Street Vision L.A. I have left all the EXIF on them. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you have a flickr?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, I use flickr and I was logged in when looking at your images - no EXIF visible. In your account setting, under Privacy and Permissions, there is an option to hide EXIF data - and you likely have that set to "hide EXIF" (which won't affect what you see personally, only other users) When I go to your original-size image, I can get to your EXIF data using Jeffrey's EXIF viewer plugin - so I know the EXIF are there, just not visible on the flickr photo page.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes, I use flickr and I was logged in when looking at your images - no EXIF visible. In your account setting, under Privacy and Permissions, there is an option to hide EXIF data - and you likely have that set to "hide EXIF" (which won't affect what you see personally, only other users) When I go to your original-size image, I can get to your EXIF data using Jeffrey's EXIF viewer plugin - so I know the EXIF are there, just not visible on the flickr photo page.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hmm, I did not know it was checked. I Un checked the box now. So it is visible :)<br>

Thanks. <br>

javier</p>

<p>I've just gone from a D300 to a D7200. I can tell you that the image quality is awesome compared to the older cameras. Dynamic range, noise and colors are all a marked improvement and the removal of the AA filter makes the images bitingly sharp. Images at ISO 3200 are excellent. AF seems to be quite good at least as good as the D300. Its just that the controls are different and will take some time to get used to the AF modes. </p>

<p>What I don't like is the body...its too small for my hands and I've had to get the battery grip. Also the drive mode dial uses a ridiculous locking mechanism that is different from the D300. The other big issue is that the green dot reset resets the Auto ISO parameters (!) which was not the case with the older camera. Very irritating, but I suppose one can program the U1 and U2 settings. The removal of information from the top plate LCD is also an irritant and the lack of ISO in the viewfinder...really, NIKON?</p>

<p>I must be one of the lucky ones though, because the WiFI works perfectly. It really is very nice to be able to transfer photos and remotely control the camera with a smartphone whenever you want. </p>

<p>So yes, on the whole you should find the upgrade from your D7000 pretty good. </p>

<p>I don't have a D7200 but I understood that while you're changing ISO, the current ISO is displayed in the viewfinder. Try reprogramming the record button to adjust ISO and see if that makes things easier. After reprogramming, press and hold the record button to see the ISO in the viewfinder.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>AF seems to be quite good at least as good as the D300. Its just that the controls are different and will take some time to get used to the AF modes.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have my camera set to 11 focus points and it blows away my old D300s by a mile in speed and most of all keepers.<br>

I agree that the body is a tad small I to have grips on all my bodies.</p>