Nikon 80-400 now match prices with 200-500 at Best Buy

chuck

<p>I just went to the Best Buy at Fairfax, VA, and saw the 80-400 now listed in-store for $1,489. It does not appear to be a fluke, because the store is out of stock, and associates checked on their system and transferred the lens at this price from a different store without any sort of price override. <br /> This price is not advertised on the Best Buy website, where the lens still list for full price. It also still list for $2,696 at B&H. <br /> I don't know what the story is and why the lens is so heavily discounted in the Best Buy. Perhaps they intend to make room for the 200-500VR. Perhaps they have advance information that Nikon will discontinue or replace this lens soon, although I tend to doubt that.<br /> If you are looking at this lens, or are considering this lens as an alternative to the 200-500, you may wish to call your local Best Buy and see if the lens is available for this quite remarkable price. It is apparently an in-store price only.<br /> I naturally bought the lens from Best Buy at this 45% discount. I bought the 200-500 partially because 8 0-400 was too expensive at the list price. Now I will have the opportunity to test these two lenses agains t each other in detail.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Chuck, there are two versions of the 80-400 lens. The new one - "AF-S" is the key word - is the more expensive one. If you have ordered it or already have it, please double check. The old one is not very good. I hope you lucked out with the AF-S version. :)</p>

<p>Hi, Mary:<br>

That's right. It says AF-S. It also says so in the confirmation email from Best Buy.<br>

Also, although out of stock for sale, the store still had the lens for display, with the price label of $1,489 under it. The display lens is most definitely the new AF-S N version without the aperture ring. </p>

<p>B&H still has it at $2696.95: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/936121-REG/nikon_80_400mm_f_4_5_5_6g_ed_vr.html<br>

And so does Amazon.</p>

<p>I always feel that the 80-400mm AF-S is way overpriced, at about $1000 more than its predecessor. However, the 200-500mm/f5.6 is underpriced, although it needs to compete against the Tamrom and Sigma 150-600mm lenses.</p>

<p>It looks like the low price is unique to Best Buy. Not sure whether it is some error or there is special case or it could be gray market, which I don't think Best Buy normally sells. For those who want this lens, get it from Best Buy before anything changes. I don't think it will go further down from there.</p>

<p>The deal seems to be over. I went to a Best Buy at Rockville, MD. They still have the low price labels on their 16-35 and 80-400 display lenses, but their inventory system no longer show the lenses at the labeled prices, and they refuse to honor those prices.</p>