Best travel tripod for under $300

chuck

I am looking to replace a 18 year old bogen aluminum tripod for travel purposes. It's main drawbacks are:

1) It's not really that light or compact when everything is retracted.

2) loosening and tightening the knob on each leg section is tedious. And they don't tighten down sufficiently to always prevent legs

sections from retracting by themselves.

3) it does not easily allow the camera to be placed very close to the ground, or off to one side from the centerline of the tripod.

4) it is not totally noodly, but it could be stiffer.

I am interested in replacing it with something newer that would address these shortcomings. If one leg could detach to become a

monopod it would be an appreciated bonus.

Any suggestions?

<p>I have a Feisol CT-3402 that I highly recommend, as long as a max height of <50 inches works for you. It is light (CF) and functional. Folding height is under 18 inches and it weighs under 3 lbs.<br /> <br /> It has a center column that has a hook on the underside where I hang my bag for greater stability (although I think the center column is now sold separately). The center column is removable and the legs can be positioned for ground level shots. The leg locks aren't too bad and twist quite easily. The do hold once you tighten them.<br /> <br /> I've had this for a while--when Feisol first started selling tripods in the US, and like most of their products the price on this one has gone up. I just checked and it's now at $271 at B&H (but it's special order only). It's still available through Adorama.<br /> <br /> Also, just for kicks, I went to B&H's site and searched for a travel tripod using the following criteria: at least 4 stars, under $325, folded height 19.9 inches or less, support weight = 26 lbs., material = CF. Only one tripod in B&H's inventory met all of those: the Sirui T-2205X 5-section. After reading some of the reviews, I would certainly consider this if I were in the market for a <$300 traveler tripod.<br /> <br /> Good luck!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Also have a Feisol, but little taller (I suppose) and w/o the mid-column, which makes it more stout. I need it for 4x5 and soon to be 5x7. Yet, I can unclick the legs and go real low. It's been with me for several years....of sand, salt water, etc etc. Sure, I spend over 400, but I wouldn't go back to anything with a column....and the weight is less than 5lbs (CF).</p>

<p>It's kind of like a monitor, save your pesos and get a good one.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>+1 for the Feisol. Consider buying the legs first and keeping your present head if it's too expensive.<br>

I opted for the CT3441 + CB-40D ballhead. It's light and sturdy. The head is good as well. Only drawback is the Arca Swiss style quick release but that's a personal matter. </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>The leg locks on modern Manfrottos are much improved from those dreadful winged screws, and they do models that will get you close to the ground.. Having used both alu and CF tripods , I'm personally not totally convinced that the biggest advantage of CF is reduced weight to carry rather than because you get sharper pictures. IMO there are lots of reasons why cameras wobble, and CF helps with just some of them. </p>

<p>So- whatever else you consider I'd suggest a newer Manfrotto could easily be on your list too.</p>