Monday in Nature Weekly Photo Dec. 21, 2015

Laura Weishaupt

<p>As ever the MiN thread is a succession of fascinating images. It has been wet and gloomy most of December here in theUK. Here is a shot of some fungus growing on a fallen oak. I think the fungus is maybe chicken-of-the-woods (<em>Laetiporus Sulphureus</em>) and the lichen maybe <em>Hypogymnia physodes</em> but I am happy for any alternative suggestions from the knowledgable folk here :-).</p><div>00deAY-559854284.jpg.71b88761d8241bcda2c1e088c6ff7f69.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Colin,<br>

I agree with John on the <em>Trametes</em>, possibly <em>T. versicolor,</em> or <em>T. ochracea</em>.<em> </em>When fresh, Trametes has a white/cream colored pore surface. Those in your fine image are probably older, hense the ocher/tanish underside. They do have a nice plump (for the genus) appearance though. The fuzzy upper surface is a <em>Trametes</em> feature, and is seen nicely here. </p>

<p><em>Laetiporus</em> is more robust, thicker, larger overall, and has a different texture. <em>L. sulphureus</em> has a bright , chrome yellow underside that remains very bright for quite some time. Once you see it, you'll never forget it.</p>

<p>Rick, I echo Gordon's remarks. The shot is wonderful. The effort required from start to finish is not lost on me. I did think it was snowing though when I first admired it. I agree about shooting in cold wind and rain. It's miserable!<br>

Bill, my shot wasn't quite off a dragon's back, although I'm delighted at the thought! It's actually the reflection on a very quiet morning on a lake in northern Ontario. I decided to turn it 90 degrees clockwise in an effort to confuse. I admit, at the time, I was considering the fun we've had with some of the macro shots Edwin has posted here.<br>

I hope all here at MIN find peace in the holidays and good health follows you in the New Year. <br>

Laura, thank you for continuing to maintain this thread week after week. It has definitely become my favourite nook here at P.net. All the best to you and yours. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Colin, if you label the photo as "<em>Trametes sp.</em>" you should be fine. Don't worry about embarrassment when it comes to fungi. Getting a genus name is often sufficient, and is usually appreciated by those keeping long term records. If you look at those again (in the woods) and see purple or lavender, then it could be something else. Every time I look at the image I want to go in a different direction, but let's stay with <em>Trametes</em> based on what we see here now.</p>

<p>Gup, thanks. It's my pleasure. Folks come and go, come back, hang out, new folks come around, and the lurkers are out there. It's the good company and amazing nature photography that, week after week, inspires, and at times just blows us away, that makes this such a good place.</p>