Scene mode versus picture control

d_wheeler

Is there any differences between the scene mode and the picture control mode on

Nikon d750? I have not tried the scene mode as of yet but do use a few of the picture

control modes. I do shoot in both jpg and raw so I know I can adjust the raw files to

my liking after the fact.

<p>Yes - they are different. Think of it this way: picture control is like different kinds of film (vivid, portrait, monochrome). Scene control is like an exposure control - different scene modes will give you different priorities for shutter speed and aperture. If you shoot raw, I believe the picture control does not do anything unless you are using Nikon software. For jpeg, the picture control settings should result in different jpeg output. </p>

<p>The difference can be said to be "Auto" mode, vs A, S, P, or M modes.</p>

<p>Scene modes are an "Auto" mode. In Auto mode (or the Scene modes), the camera chooses and sets everything, auto white balance, auto ISO, and also the Picture mode, for the various Scene modes. And if deemed needed, the internal flash pops up automatically in most of them. The user only aims and presses the shutter. Most of this does not affect raw file data (raw is raw), but certainly it does affect JPG.</p>

<p>In contrast, in camera modes A, S, P, or M, the automation is Not on by default. If you want do auto WB or auto ISO or some particular Picture Control, you can chose it and turn them on yourself, but it is not required. You can open or shut the internal flash door to use it or not, as you desire. But this automation is not required in A, S, P, or M. You can turn that stuff off if Not in Auto mode. You cannot turn it off in the Auto modes.</p>

<p>Scene modes will affect the exposure (not over or under expose), in the sense that for example, sports mode will likely favor a high shutter speed to freeze action such that it may use a higher ISO and/or a larger aperture to compensate. Group portrait may favor more depth of field to get everybody sharp so that it may favor a smaller aperture.</p>

<p>Therefore, scene modes will affect even RAW files.</p>

<p>Yes, sure, of course exposure (consisting of ISO and shutter speed and depth of field and focus and flash) affects raw files. Otherwise, things like White Balance or Picture Control do not. One point of raw is to not have to undo bad automatic settings. :) It is adjusted better by us after we can see what it actually needs. If we might want our own choice, we have to turn Auto modes off.</p>

<p>Qualification: All such settings are recorded in the Exif, but do not affect the raw file data. The Nikon raw software can read the Exif and apply these settings to the raw files it processes, but most other raw software does not, with exception of white balance being optional in some cases. My own strong opinion is that we can choose this better ourself, later, after we see what the issue is.</p>

<p>Some scene modes may also affect the White Balance. For example: Sunset mode will set the White Balance to somewhere close to daylight in order to retain the orange/red light of a sunset. The same scene taken on AWB will tend towards grey and the red sunset tones will be muted. Likewise with Candlelight scene mode and modes that invoke the use of flash. The scene modes don't just adjust the exposure, they set up other parameters of the camera as being most suitable for the type of scene, which isn't necessarily "Auto Everything".</p>

<p>As has already been said, the Picture Controls work after the exposure is made to adjust things like colour saturation and contrast.</p>