What no Canon 1DX MKII

fotolopithecus

<p>Since the press release is dated 28 minutes ago, I'm not surprised.</p>

<p><strong><a href="http://tinyurl.com/jm5ew5k">http://tinyurl.com/jm5ew5k</a></strong></p>

<p>Nice camera, but I'm not buying one so I can't really get too excited about it. I don't really need or want 14fps, I don't have any interest in 4K video and I don't think I've ever shot 170 frame bursts of RAW images. It's certainly a flagship for canon and I'me sure there will be pros who will grap one as soon as one becomes available. f8 AF on all 60+ AF zones is nice, but I tend to use the center AF zone anyway, especially when shooting with TCs.</p>

<p>I guess my problem is that the "regular" Canon DSLRs are good enough to meet all my needs, so I can't get too excited about a camera loaded with features, nost of which I don't need, at a price I can't afford!</p>

<p>I'm sure some of these features will trickle down into less expensive models, probably even to the APS-C cameras (7D MkIII anyone?).</p>

<p>What caught my eye was not 4k video but 120 frames per second video capture at standard HD ('2k') resolution. I don't think there are any broadcast standards for this yet, and it's probably too low-res for cinema use, but perhaps before too long we will see 'Netflix 120Hz'?</p>

<p>1080p at 120fps is not uncommon in recent cameras - generally it's used for slow motion rather than trying to play it back at full speed, as the benefits of displaying more than 60Hz are relatively minimal (unless you're trying to do 3D or you're very latency-sensitive). I'll be interested to know how many of the pixels are actually used to generate the image - how much of the sensor is being read at full speed, and therefore how sensitive the lower resolutions are. I notice DPReview have already asserted that the 1Dx can only do "most of" what the 1Dc could (noting a lack of Canon Log Gamma), somewhat missing the frame rate improvement at 4K. I presume it can do it for a reasonable amount of time, too, unlike the D5.<br />

<br />

CFast in a camera, just as Nikon are doubling-down on XQD. The format war continues, and I wonder whether SD is laughing.<br />

<br />

Anyway, interesting, I wondered what Canon were going to do. Not, I note, 60Hz 8K video with the ability to store raw frames from a buffer - so there's something left for the mk3!</p>

<p>I'd love to try one for sports and dance shooting. Looks great, I was very impressed with the original 1DX when I tried it once. Does it have a silent shutter mode? The original did not which made it less suitable for dance. Too rich for me, but I would consider a s/h original 1DX should the need become great.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>I am curious what:</p>

<p>"The camera also boasts excellent dynamic range and reduced color noise compared to its predecessor throughout its standard ISO speed range of 100 - 51,200."<br>

<br>

Translates too in comparison to the (currently) superior DR performance of the Sony sensors. Obviously we'll have to wait to get a specific answer to that....</p>

<p>I think your right Robin and the fact that they aren't advertising the exact improvement in DR gives me pause. If it was a significant upgrade in DR, I have no doubt Canon would be touting it. Hopefully, my gut feeling is wrong as I'd really like to see a significantly improved sensor trickle down to the 5DV. If, in fact, it is an incremental upgrade I may have to go the Sony route when the shutter on the 5D-III finally gives out. </p>

Certainly not in the market for this camera, but apparently the new sensor has its A/D conversion circuitry built

into the sensor, so one may hope for a significant boost in DR. Perhaps the occasional sight of Canon "L"

lenses hanging off of Sony A7rii cameras had the effect of Canon finally addressing the "DR gap" between it

and its adversaries.

<p>Even if you can afford the 1DX II, don't forget to factor in the cost of a gym membership and personal trainer to keep in good enough shape to hump that dad burn huge and heavy thang across town.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>A healthy person should be able to carry 20% on top of their body weight without problems. A 1D X shouldn't make much difference and is a good sized body that one can put their hands around and not worry about pushing two buttons accidentally at the same time given how small the spacing in small cameras often is.</p>