Short to moderate zoom for an F2

ray .

I used to have a 35-70 AI-S Nikon zoom. Not a bad lens for so little money, but soft in the corners and even worse- easy

to flare.

Just wondering what's roughly in that focal length range I could use on an F2. I suppose some people use AF lenses on

manual film cameras, or is there another manual focus zoom out there? Maybe in the range of 24-70 or somewhere in

between, relatively light weight and not super expensive. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Please keep in mind that zooms were far less popular during the manual focus era and in general the quality was poorer.

Back then, the better zoom lenses were mostly tele, such as the 80-200 and 75-150 type. If you want a better 24-70 type

lens, you are better off checking AF lenses. However, the two 24-70mm/f2.8 are both G lenses and are not suitable for

the F2.

<p>I`d not use a zoom lens on a F2. There are too many great single focal length lenses to enjoy the F2 (e.g., any 55/1.2). In fact, I sold all almost all my MF zooms from the MF era.<br /> But you`re asking about it, so I`d get its "natural" zoom lens, the 28-45/4.5. Also "natural" is the 43-86, but if you don`t like the 35-70 it is very likely you`ll end throwing it out the window... <br /> If you are brave enough, and want performance, you can always attach a 35-70/2.8AFD push&pull zoom, but you will run the risk of being remembered as an ugly person... :D<br /> Believe me: you don`t need this... Just use a MF 55/1.2!<br /> ---<br /> (... Or a 35/2, or a 85/1.8, but something with a silver ring on front. Well, if you don`t like silver rings, you can always use a 45GN!) :D</p>

<p>When I was using an F and F3, I generally stuck to primes when I could, but it's always nice to have a zoom for carrying around.</p>

<p>I have (not that I use it much now) a 35-105 3.5/4.5 AIS zoom on my F and later the F3. That is, by reputation, one of the most variable quality lenses Nikon ever made, ranging from quite good to awful. Mine was decently sharp and at least on film it came through well, although the zoom is loose. Those turn up relatively cheaply sometimes. If you can test it, perhaps with a digital camera, and insure that you get a good one, it might be worth a try. I always found the ergonomics of this lens a bit annoying, but it was a convenient carry-around length. I think the later AF ones are optically similar, and may be easier to find.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>One thing to keep in mind about using AF zooms is that, unless you have a DP-11 or DP-12 finder, you'll need rabbit ears on the lens if you want the meter to work.</p>

<p>Which 35-70 did you have before? The fixed f3.5 versions are supposedly much better than the cheaper, variable aperture versions. The Vivitar Series 1 28-90 also seems to be generally well regarded. The only MF normal zooms I personally have used are the Nikkor 43-86 (second version), Vivitar RL edition 28-80 3.5-4.5, and a Tokina AT-X 28-85 3.5-4.5. All of which I would consider decent, but nothing to write home about. </p>

I have a 35mm f/2 for the camera. I may just add one more prime. Was just wondering if there was

anything similar to the 35-70 I had but better.

Cory, I didn't know there were two 35-70's. I have a photo from the 35-70 I had of a white car in dim

sunlight that produced a patch of flare from the reflection the kind I've never seen before from any other

lens I've owned.... Looking on ebay, I'm thinking I may have had the variable aperture version. I believe it

would have been the smaller of the two lenses.

Jose, I'll check out the 28-45... Thanks to all.

<p>As Matthew mentioned, the Nikkor 35-105 f/3.5 AI-s is decent. Mine is very good. Also there are a number of Tokina ATX and Tamron SP mid range zooms that give good results that are available for Nikon mount. Especially good is the Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 Macro Focusing zoom. One of the best mid range zooms ever made. Not expensive either.</p>

<p>Louis, I almost forgot that Vivitar you mentioned. I have one, which I got just a little before my current flirtation with digital. It cost the grand sum of ten dollars, owing to a scratch on the front element, and it is quite decent. It vignettes a little at the short end, but otherwise works rather well. </p>

<p>I have a couple of the longer Vivitar Series I lenses, and they are all quite decent and robustly made too. </p>

<p>I'd suggest the Tamron SP 28-75mm AF zoom, but the current model is a "G" type lens and unsuitable for the F2. However you can still pick up used examples of the earlier screwdriver AF version with an aperture ring, such as this one here:<br>

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-nikon-fit-lenses/tamron-sp-af-28-75mm-f-2-8-xr-di-ld-aspherical-if-macro-nikon-fit/sku-100704/?gclid=CNC45q7jzskCFUNmGwodFMUCtA</p>

<p>That would work on an F2A or F2AS, but not on an F2 requiring meter-coupling tines on the lens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Maybe in the range of 24-70 or somewhere in between, relatively light weight and not super expensive."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>On numerous occasions, I have considered replacing my 35-70mm f/2.8 AF with the 28-70mm f/2.8 AF but could not economically justify the expense for the slightly wider coverage.</p>

<p>I have also considered replacing it with the 24-70mm f/2.8 G AF but the G lens is not compatible with my Nikon F2 bodies.</p>

<p>Therefore, if I were forced to replace my mid-range zoom with something that was in the range of 24-70, relatively light in weight, and not super expensive; I would consider a used Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8 to f4 D AF lens for about $400. Its image quality is not good but you did not list image quality as a criterion.</p>

<p> Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8

<div>00dctQ-559662984.jpg.92ad8d85f73ac6425f6b564185f0a15c.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...