Do you prefer Elinchrom modifiers?

dan_landis

<p>I just tested the elinchrom 39" rotalux deep octa with a Profoto acuteb 600 head and the results were jaw dropping. The light is gorgeous and gives the face a milky type of glow+snap to the highlights. I never really liked the results from the Profoto RFI 3 foot octa even with the octa right up on the subjects face. I seem to get more blown highlights on people's T-zones with the Profoto.<br>

I took some self portraits since the mannequin I ordered from Amazon is not here yet. I don't have the best skin and was up on very little sleep but the results made me look 5 years younger. <br>

This light with the outer diffuser on and off gives a very snappy look that is different from the flatter look of the RFI. <br>

Have you noticed this with other elinchrom modifiers? </p>

<p>I wouldn't have guessed that a deep-octa with both its front-diffuser and internal baffle installed would have much of a significant difference in light-evenness across its front diffuser, compared with a similarly baffled, shallower octa such as the Profoto RFi. Sure, it may be slightly more even, but it would be interesting to meter how large a difference there actually is. Or, are you comparing a bare, undiffused deep-octa (using it like a large beauty dish) to a diffused/baffled Profoto?</p>

<p>[As you may already know, sufficiently diffuse sources of similar sizes should produce virtually identical light quality at same distances. Decreasing source-to-subject distance will increase fall-off, as the effects of the inverse-square law become more apparent, and also increase "wrap" (which produces "softer" light quality). Conversely, while increasing source-to-subject distance produces more even illumination (i.e., less fall-off), it also results in reducing the source size relative to your subject, making the light appear "harder."]</p>

<p>Hi Ralph, <br>

I've been using the Profoto RFI 3' since June 2013 with AcuteB 600 and now B1. I was pretty much blown away from the first test shots(even with a camera as old as the Nikon D3). I will make some tests tomorrow with the D800 but the images out of Capture One 9 compared to recent test self-portraits with the RFI Octa were quite dramatic. </p>

<p>Dan, could you post some comparative shots so that we can see the difference, please?</p>

<p>I'm very much a skeptic that believes a reflector is a reflector and a diffuser is a diffuser. There's no "magic" to any light - just, as Ralph suggests, size, shape, colour and distance.</p>

Have not tried the 39" Deep Octa, but my favorite Elinchrom modifier for portraits these days isthe 59-inch Deep Indirect

Octa used in indirect mode where the flash head is inside the modifier and facing away from the front scrim. I replaced he Elinchom stand

mount with an Avenger D200 grip head as the original stand mount did not really work on a C-stand spipot.

<p>Hi,<br>

I am looking forward to doing some tests this weekend. <br>

Just wondering: If light is light how do the Elinchrom/Profoto/Chimera modifers compare to similar size/design cheap third-party light modifiers on ebay shot at same distance and angle? I used a number of off-brand products before switching.<br>

I know some pros really love Plume lighting modifiers. Are they better than similar sized cheap softboxes from ebay if light is light? <br>

do all lighting modifiers from different companies look the same if modifier, distance to subject, and diffusion material is on the front? <br>

I hear people say the Mola demi has a special look to it even though it is slightly larger than Profoto beauty dish( 22 vs. 20.5). <br>

i am not sure of the difference but i can only believe my eyes when i look at images from elichrom octa 39" on nec pa271w.</p>

<p>I fell in love with the Elinchrom 74" Octa when I was assisting many years ago and bought one when I started making money. Fifteen years later, that Octa is gone and it's been replaced with the Elinchrom Rotolux 59" Indirect and I'm very happy with the results. I also bought a Profoto 5' Octa for a large shoot but it didn't produce the quality of light that the Elinchrom did, so I sold it not too long ago.<br>

I have recently purchased a Profoto 2x3' soft box to be used for a clients ongoing product project. I've added the soft grid for the Profoto and it does exactly what I want, it's all about having a style and picking equipment that achieves that look. I've used Profoto Acutes for twenty years because they suit my needs, the fact that I can use Elinchrom modifiers is a bonus.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>For people photography with flattering light, nothing beats the indirect/reverse mount in octa/round modifiers.<br>

As mentioned above, the Elinchrom Octa 74" is the grand daddy, the Roto 59" a nice newer addition and the 39" due to it's deeper built, a more directional source. <br>

For Hard reflectors, there's Mola (in windy outdoor situations) with diffusion.<br>

Then there are the Photek Softlighters...<br>

Pretty much my line up. All on Profoto Pro heads, still playing with the B2 setup, but it seems the Photek's are a bit more forgiving.</p>