Butterfly Style Lighting Setup

peter_j2

<p>Which butterfly style lighting setup detailed below is "generally" the best for headshots?<br /><br />1) A Mola Demi beauty dish 3' above and in front of the subject's eyes and a Wescott Eyelighter reflective panel placed under the subject's chin, or<br /><br />2) A Mola Demi beauty dish 3' above and in front of the subject's eyes and a 1x4' strip box with a silver interior, inner and front diffusion panels placed under the subject's chin?<br /><br /><br /> http://www.lightingrumours.com/westcott-eyelighter-5857</p>

<p>http://profoto.com/int/products/light-shaping-tools-modular-light-shapers-for-profoto-heads-monolights/item/softbox-rfi-1x4-30x120cm</p>

<p>I have a similar silver strip reflector that was sold as a car windshield protector/heat reflector. IIRC it cost around 1.5% of the asking price of that overhyped Wescott contraption. Even adding in the price of a stand and some fencing wire to shape it, it would amount to around 10% of the cost, max. Oh, and the windshield protector was white on the reverse side too.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Butterfly lighting, in the past, was achieved with a large light modifier, such as a beauty dish. The light was directly above the camera position so as to be on axis with the model.<br>

Now a new scheme is the clam-shell lighting. I use 5 foot round soft-box as the upper light above me, ceiling mounted, and towards the model. Then a 3' x 4' soft-box, raised slightly off the floor, shining upward towards the model. The light source can be any, I prefer studio strobes.<br>

The ratio of light from the top is full, the lower light is 2/3 to 1/2. If you want the true butterfly effect under the nose, reduce to 1/4.</p>