How many model release forms for same person?

eric_m4

<p>If I want to submit photos to a stock agency and I photographed my friends and relatives every time I saw them, would they have to sign a model release every time I photographed them? For example, If I photograph my sister's kids 7 days a week do I need her signature on 7 different model release forms each week? Or is there a "Bulk" model release form for, say, the whole year of 2015, 2016, etc...?</p>

<p>Releases apply to only the images the release is executed for. If the release fails to adequately describe the imagery intended or there is a lack of other evidence available to show it is for specific imagery, then it is of little value if a claim is made against the party displaying the imagery. Is a party is held liable for unreleased display of someone's likeness and the imagery came from a stock house that represented, in good faith, that the image was among its properly released inventory, the the displaying party will in turn have a claim against the stock house for a breach of contract. Such occurrences are rare and the liability may only be for the contract price. If a photographer falsely represents a particular image is released (e.g. uses old releases that do not apply to new imagery) then we are getting in to fraudulent misrepresentations and problems with everyone down the line. While rare that this comes up, it is best avoided.</p>

<p>Ellis' recommendation solves this issue assuming you can get the people to batch release all the images submitted that feature their own likeness. Otherwise, those not batch released need individual releases. Ian's scenario lacked enough detail to understand if they are new images with old inapplicable leases. I presume that's not the case.</p>

<p>My thought, since I'm not a lawyer, is that you need as many releases as necessary to avoid legal problems.</p>

<p>That being said, if you have had your models sign a blanket release that covers their likeness for the rest of their lives, like it sounds like Ian is doing, then you may be fine. But, my approach is more like John's - every time that I'm in a different situation, I prepare a new model release. My MRs are date and location specific.</p>

<p>My $0.02 worth and I'm not a lawyer...</p>

<p><em>"my approach is more like John's - every time that I'm in a different situation, I prepare a new model release."</em><br /><br />I would advocate that approach upon making any that is likely to be marketed for commercials use but, I see nothing wrong with a batch release if it has sufficient details to demonstrate it applies to all the associated images. Legally at least. Whether stock agencies favor that is another issue.</p>

<p><em>"my approach is more like John's - every time that I'm in a different situation, I prepare a new model release."</em><br /><br />I would advocate that approach for every image made that is likely to be marketed for commercials use but L see nothing wrong with a batch release if it has sufficient details to demonstrate it applies to all the associated images. Legally at least. Whether stock agencies accept that is another issue. </p>