Any wideangle recommendation for 5dmark3

HK71

<p>Dear Friends;<br /> I am considering a wide angle around 20mm for my 5DMark3. As a former Nikon user, if there was one piece of my kit that I will never forget on performance basis, it would be my Nikon 20mm f/2,8. With it is bargain price and exceptional over all performance, it was like a dream using it on my F6. Even my friend of mine, -who has been motivated with the performance of the Nikon's 20mm-, decided to have Canon version, 20mm EF f/2,8 for his Canon body. But unfortunately he was bitterly regreted for his decision when he has seen the huge performance between the two.<br /> So as a current 24-70 f/2,8 owner I need something wide, and I am now at the same crossroad for the same decision. I feel the lack of the joy of an ultrwide in my photographic life and want to invest on something on similar. So what would be the decision. A newcomer Sigma 20 f/1,4 DG HSM ART lens, one of the new 16-35s(mk2 or f/4 IS version)? To tell you the truth I am always suspicious about the performance of the zoom lenses versus primes. I always used to try the "edges" of the wide angle photography to add an exceptional emotion for my photographic work.<br /> Your comments are welcomed. Would be greatful if you spend little time to see my portfolio to see my wide angle work for further guidance about your thoughts.<br /> Thanks in advance for your comments and your time.<br /> Cheers,<br /> Hakan Karademir</p>

<p>Don't have any great suggestions except Zeiss 21/2.8. Well, not only expensive, but it may give you slightly different coloration than you desire. Try renting one, perhaps ? Furthermore, I have no idea what the latest Nikon 1.4 or 1.8 versions are like, nor we have any sort consensus what the Sigma is like.</p>

<p>Anyway, this lens (Nikkor 20/2.8 manual) still has its place and I use it on occasion. This was taken in S. China few hrs ride from Guilin. Glad that those two people were standing there....giving some sort of scale of the terraces.</p>

<p>Les</p><div>00ddgV-559788384.jpg.7f4e69047e81fab92bc2bf231234b2fa.jpg</div>

<p>Compare for yourself at The-Digital-Picture dot com. Don't get too hung up on 20mm and consider 17mm, 20mm and 24mm, which will yield lots of choice. For landscape, don't get hung up on a really wide aperture, when you'll most likely shoot at f/8. Canon has some excellent lenses in this range, with apertures more like f/2.8 and f/4. The tilt-shift choices at 17mm and 24mm have exceptional IQ.</p>

<p>16-35mm f4 IS. Very good - much the same as the Zeiss 21mm and 18mm ZEs (also recommended). The Sigma 20/1.4 is also rumored to be good and the Tamron 15-30mm has good reviews. If you have a 24mm already then 21-20 may seem tame. 17TSE also very good, but fiddly for general use. 11-24mm very good, very big, very expensive, but goes to 11mm if that matters to you (The Spinal Tap lens). If you are really fussy about corner performance you might find all of the lenses not as good as lenses of 24-35mm focal length. The current EF 20mm is ancient and known not to be competitive performance-wise, although some people make it work.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Maybe it's me, but the Nikon 20mm f/2.8 is hardly the highlight of the line-up, and a quite aged design with normal, but not exceptional, performance. I expect every modern wide angle lens to better it - zoom or prime. I'd start by setting a budget first, though, that might help those who know the EOS system well (=not me, I can only vouch for the Nikon 20mm f/2.8 being fairly middle of the road) narrow down their advice to something that sits well with your wallet.</p>

<p>I think the secret to using the TS-E lenses as a general purpose lens is NOT TO FIDDLE with them. Keep them locked in neutral position and take advantage of the larger image circle and spectacular edge-to-edge performance on a full-frame sensor.</p>

<p>Taking advantage of full capability of tilt-shift lenses in architectural photography can be a big plus for someone that doesn't specialize in that. For someone that specialized, it's indispensable. </p>

<p>Dear Wouter;<br>

I am very far now from Nikon era. So my comments on the Nikon's 20 mm Autofocus lens belongs to a period of, at least 10 years ago from now. So, yes I am sure Nikon has produced far much better products in its product line. But till now, I haven't seen or read any spectecular lens in terms of price performance ratio for the Canon's side on this level. If price is not issue I am sure new lenses like 11-24 EF f/4 USM is worth to consider even it is not a prime. But I do not need a bulky 1,2 kg lens either, while trying to enjoy street photography. Even as a Leica user after using a M body, a digital SLR is a burden for a person who is taking photos as an amateur and hobby purposes. </p>

<p>I've recently bought the Canon 16-35 f4 IS in exchange for my old Canon 17-40 L. The 17-40L is not a bad lens but needs a bit of stopping down to improve corner sharpeness. The new 16-35 has about the same centre sharpness as the 17-40, maybe a little more, but is considerably sharper than the 17-40 in the corners. A real improvement. Unless you specifically want a prime lens I suggest the Canon 16-35 f4 L should be at the top of your short list.<br /> <br />I like the look of the Canon 11-24 and users seem to enjoy using it. I find the big bulby front element puts me off a bit, having had a Sigma 12-24 in the past which has a similar bulby front element. I found it was all too easy for that front element to pick up damage.</p>