CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD 1500VA Pure Sinewave AVR LCD UPS System

peter_j2

<p>Has anyone connected their generator (i.e. Profoto Acute2R 2400 or equivalent) to the above UPS battery backup? If you have, how many full power pops on your generator and number of heads did you get before the battery died? This 900 Watt sealed lead acid CyberPower is designed as a pure sine wave unit and is hundreds of dollars cheaper than the 800 Watt Godox LP-800X Lithium-Ion . Thanks.</p>

<p>Thanks for responding, Ellis. I purchased the unit yesterday to protect a desktop PC and it's monitor. Today, I connected the Profoto Acute2R 2400 to the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD and fired a Profoto Acute/D4 Head at 1/4 power (600 W), 1/2 power (1200 W) and 1/1 power (2400 W). The UPS could fire comfortably at 600 W, but initiated warning beeps at the higher outputs indicating a potential battery overload. The instructions of the UPS state to input no more than 80% (720 W) of the units capacity (900 W). Therefore, I will agree with you that a Vagabond Extreme Lithium capable of 3200 Ws is the compatible solution to 2400 Ws generators.</p>

<p>From the spec for the Cyberpower UPS -<br>

Runtime at half-power: 11 mins.<br>

Runtime at full-power: 2 mins.</p>

<p>The output of a flash is measured in Watt-seconds, not Watts BTW. Therefore you can't just equate the output Wattage of the UPS to the energy rating of the flash in Joules (Watt-seconds). It depends heavily on the recycle time and efficiency of the flash power pack (it's not a generator either - it generates nothing; it's a voltage converter the same as the UPS).</p>

<p>I'd guess that the Profoto power pack is around 80% efficient and recycles in around 2 seconds. Therefore it'll consume around 1500 Watts when recycling to 600 Watt-seconds. And according to its spec the UPS will run for 2 minutes at that rate of discharge. So in theory you might get (2 minutes divided by 2 seconds) flash pops out of it; i.e. 60 flashes @ 600 Joules - absolute max.</p>

<p>Trying to charge the Profoto power pack to 2400 W-s will definitely overload the UPS. The battery used in the UPS is rated at 8 Ampere-Hours/12v. Compare that to a car battery that's rated at somewhere between 40 and 80 Ampere-hours, and you'll see how weedy the battery used in that UPS is.</p>

<p>Thanks for the explanation Rodeo Joe. I was able to obtain 50 600 Ws flashes with a recharge time of approximately 1 s on the Fast mode. The UPS's LCD was reading 75% battery power capacity remaining with 102 minutes of runtime left. I guess if I would have continued popping the head the UPS would have yielded a total of 125 600 Ws flashes.</p>