Not everyone loves the Nikon F5

straw_man

<p>Of all the Nikon film SLRs, I owned the FM, F3, F4, FE, FE2, FM2, and F5 (and some others that are worse and I never want to use like FG, EM, N90, N60, F8008), I like most the F4, then the FM2, FM, and at last the F5. I never had a chance to see an F or F2 in great condition, especially about their meters; so that's all I can say about them. I, too, consider the F4 as the best manual (film) camera. The F5 has more features but they are auto features that I have no use manually. The F4 has the shutter speed dial which the F5 does not have.<br>

You may say that the FM, FE and most others also have the shutter speed dial, but they have fewer speeds to choose and I believe the F4 has more accurate speeds than the FM or FE. I like film auto loading, winding, unwinding, better viewfinder,...</p>

<p>I use both an F5 and an F6. Perhaps unnecessarily I tend to choose the F5 when I think the weather or trip is going to be rough. I take full advantage of and download the exposure data stored in these cameras. One thing to note is if you want the date and time of each frame you need an MF-28 Multi-Control Back for the F5. The data/time function is built into the F6 but you must remember to set the data recording level to "Detailed" to record the time. </p>

<p>It is interesting the F4 has come up several times in this thread. Up to this week, I had never seen one in person. Then I bought one on Sunday, as part of a kit (in order to get an AF 180mm). Here is my impression: the F4 has <em>presence</em>. It is a real chunk of a camera and the controls are exquisite. My copy looks like it has hardly been used, so it is still relatively soft and grippy. Most of the knobs are very robust and have locks to prevent inadvertent error. I will probably sell this F4, but it is a really impressive piece of hardware.</p>

<p>I used the current camera of the day whether it was the F, F2 & F3, including the F3P. Then an N90 and I skipped the F4. I bought an F5 when I went to work full-time at a magazine. It was a workhorse camera. And the matrix metering just nailed the exposures. You could put it on "P" with a roll of Kodachrome and clamp on an SB24 and have the largest point and shoot. The transparencies looked great. I added the data back to the F5 so it printed my name between the frames on the roll of film. For photographers who liked to travel light the big pro cameras were a hindrance. Many went for the N90 or the F100. I still have all my film Nikons (with all batteries removed) but never use them. Some day when I get old (actually I AM old) I might try going back to film. THEN I'd like to try the F6. But that's for another day.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>There are a lot of negative comments about the F4 but it is my favorite Nikon film camera. Yes it is heavy, but for me that is not a big deal and the ergonomics fit my hands perfectly, a lot better than my F2's with MD-2's. Honestly, I prefer conventional controls over menus and thumbwheels. I got the MB-23 battery pack, which are very difficult to find, and I like it a lot better than the MB-21. You don't need to unscrew anything with the MB-23, it has a tray that slides out just like any DSLR battery pack.</p>