Rusted Hot shoe

girishmenon

<p>A friend of mine bought a Canon 60D, hardly ever used it and kept it very badly. The carry bag was full of fungus, the lens has a lot of fungus. He has asked me to keep it for him so that its condition doesn't further worsen. I have put the lens away in an airtight box with silica gel because I don't intend to use it.<br>

I plan to get the sensor cleaned by Canon and use the camera. However, the hot shoe is rusted and so I'm worried about keeping this camera with the rest of my equipment in the dry cabinet. Can this rust spread to other cameras and lenses?</p>

<p>AFAIK rust will not spread to other parts, rust is simply a matter of iron and oxygen, leading to iron oxide aka rust. Circumstances must have been pretty bad to get the hotshoe rusting; I wouldn't trust the rest of the camera (interior!) either. Question is even if checking it by Canon is worth the effort.</p>

Rust is spreadable. Unlike some other

oxidations, rust is powdery and falls off. Also it

acts as catalyst for more oxidation.

If it rusted, clean it throughly and keep it away.

Similar to fungus.

I don't how close of a friend you are, but rust

and fungus are not friendly to give

<p>How do you know it is rust; that is, iron oxide. I assume it is chromed hot shoe, not the contacts. You could scrape off rust and treat it with vehicle rust converter, or phosphoric/tannic acid, then wax, oil or varnish it. Yes, rust does spray particles, because the rust molecule is significantly larger than the iron molecule it comes from.<br>

I don't think I'd worry much though. Your dry cabinet will deactivate mould and more or less stop corrosion; besides the camera and lens electronics won't last 100 years.</p>

<p>Or is it the plate in the hotshoe. I remember that you can flip it out easily with a small screwdriver, at least in older EOS models.<br>

I'd clean the sensor myself and in the meantime have a good look at the mirror as well. The silver coating is quite fragile, this may or may not have been affected as well. </p>