Upgrading from a D90

jack_meyer

<p>Hi Folks...long time reader, new poster.<br>

I have had a D90 for about 5 years...most of my photography is sports ( just for fun, my kids games, Louisville Cardinal Football games etc.) Looking to upgrade, would like Higher MP value...better ISO. Cant afford FX switch and don't want to get rid of my DX lenses either....so what would be the next step, D5500? D7200? I see the D7000 for awfully low prices too.<br>

Love to hear some suggestions...thank you!!</p>

<p>For sports, even children's games (maybe especially children's games) you want the best possible autofocus. That suggests either the D7100 or the D7200. But the D7100 has a small buffer, which can limit how many shots you can take when shooting in burst mode. The D7200 has a significantly larger buffer, and this is the one I would recommend. You will be happier with it right away and for a longer time than any of the others.</p>

<p>I used a D90 for sports for a while when they first came out. I am thinking that the D7000 is not enough of an upgrade over a D90 when compared to the advantages of a D7100 (or 7200). You might compare a good deal on the D7100 (refirb?) vs. a 7200.<br /> For me, important not often mentioned advantages of a D7X00 over the D90 are AF fine tune capability and the ability to meter with older AI MF lenses for fun.</p>

<p>For sports, the minimum would be the D7100. The AF on it is rocket fast! If you were to eventually buy a used Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR1 you would have a combination that would be hard to beat without spending many thousands more. The focus is pretty much instantaneous!</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Since the D90 is quite old, either the D7100 or D7200 will make a meaningful upgrade. The D7100 is well known for its small RAW buffer. If you only shoot JPEGs, it is a non issue. Otherwise, the deeper RAW buffer, the somewhat improved AF (not that significant) and the better high-ISO results make the D7200 a better choice for you.</p>

<p>Currently the D7200 is $1200. The D7100, even new, will be well within your budget. Keep in mind that you'll also need a couple of modern, fast SD cards for the faster D7100 or D7200. Check this recent thread on high-ISO result comparisons: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00dCJy">D7100 vs D7200 at ISO 6400</a></p>

<p>While I have never had any buffer problems with my D7000 shooting show jumping (RAW+JPEG), I would go for the D7200 - looking at the options available today.</p>

<p>Considering that both your 50/1.8 and 70-300 VR are DX lenses, FX is worth considering before you part with your money. You could sell the D90 and its 18-105 and get an FX zoom covering part of that range.</p>

<p>AF on the D600 is nowhere near as good as the D7100/7200. The difference is big enough that for sports photos those cameras have a decided advantage. Also, to get the equivalent of 300mm on a D600 you would need at least a 400mm. Those aren't cheap, especially with AFS focus.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'd like to be under $1,000 but realize that might not be realistic</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Since the OP is mainly shooting sports, and the preferred budget is under $1000 such that getting a $1200 D7200 is a bit of a stretch, I wouldn't consider FX.</p>

<p>On another recent thread: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00dExC<br>

the OP over there also has been using a D90, but that is where the similarity ends. That OP mainly uses wide angles for landscape and architecture photography, and his budget is different such that going FX makes perfect sense.</p>

<p>In this case here, the emphasis is telephoto for sports photography. Unless the budget is really high so that we can start talking about maybe a used D4 (around $3500) or at least D750 plus updated telephoto lenses, staying with DX is the clear choice.</p>

<p>Searching around it seems that the current price for a new D7200 is $1200 and for a new D7100 it's $1000.<br>

I think it's worth $200 to get the D7200 instead of a new D7100. </p>

<p>Or a used or refurbished D7100 maybe. A refurbished seems to be around $730 or so and I think they usually come with full Nikon warranty.</p>

<p>With the D7200 out at a new price $1200, IMO $1000 is too high for a new D7100 now. Maybe Nikon doesn't have that many D7100 left so that they are not eager to discount them. Personally, I think $800 to $900 would be a good price for a new D7100. In fact, it was $900 over Christmas last year. At $1000, you are better off paying a bit more for the D7200. Otherwise, if you want to get a D7100, I would try the refurbished route.</p>

<p>In the case of Nikon USA, refurbished DSLRs are warrantied for 90 days, not a year.</p>

<p>Used D7100 are going for <$650. This is deep into "no-brainer" territory. Why throw money away on a new one? If you wait another month odds are they will be selling for under $600. At that point you could sell the D90 & 70-300mm and buy used D7100 & a used 70-200mm f2.8 lens. You would have the ultimate combo for kids' sports with that! No-brainer. </p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

• 3 weeks later...