Pentax dSLR 645 price drops, lens question

stemked

<p>Hi All.<br>

I recently heard about the price of a new 645 dropping like 60% to about $4000. I know next to nothing about digital 645 SLRs but I am a long time user of Pentax equipment, digital/film 35mm, and film 67 models. </p>

<p>I haven't used the 67 in years, but haven't been able to bring myself to sell it because the price dropped so low. I own three 67 lenses 135 macro, the new 200 f4, and the 55 f4. I recall there is/was a 67 to 645 adapter. I was wondering if it is conceivable to use them on the Pentax 645 bodies? And yes, I know you will loose autoexposure and autofocus. I can see this as a gateway to thinking about moving back to medium format.</p>

<p>I not yet in the market, but I could see this a few years coming down the pike.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Doug</p>

<p>In a few years down the road that Pentax645Z will look like an antique and people will wonder how they ever managed to sell them at $4000. Either sensors will <em>really</em> be medium format size by then, or mirrorless full-frame(ish) cameras will have taken over the market.</p>

Just like *every* pro digital camera. No

one buys a top end Nikon, Canon,

Phase One, Leica etc unless they can

quickly recoup the cost from their work,

or they are wealthy amateurs. Either

are valid, and the Pentax is not out of

line price-wise.

<blockquote>

<p>In a few years down the road that Pentax645Z will look like an antique and people will wonder how they ever managed to sell them at $4000.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's the older CCD-based 645D, not the new CMOS-based 645Z, that has been greatly reduced in price. The D now costs half of the Z.</p>

<p>Both are excellent cameras. I have seen many <em>outstanding </em>photos from the 645D. If you don't need high ISO, then $4k is great value for a new D, or around $3k for a gently used one.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Either sensors will <em>really</em> be medium format size by then, or mirrorless full-frame(ish) cameras will have taken over the market.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If/when sensors become "really medium format size", the cost of the cameras/backs deploying them will be a large multiple of the current 645D or 645Z prices. They serve a different market segment. </p>

<p>Mirrorless full-frame cameras already exist (Sony A7 series, Leica M series) and are on a roll. It remains to be seen to what extent the likes of the Sony A7RII undercuts the 645Z. For many, the bigger sensor (of same technology) will always win; other factors like lens choice and a preference for an OVF over EVF come into play also. </p>

<p> </p>