F4 Squeal

denny_rane

<p>I have been "looking into" buying an F4. The two issues I read about most are:<br>

1. LCD Bleed/Leak<br>

2. Preview Squeal<br>

Doing a search regarding #2 gets me very little about the F4 in particular, most titles that pop up seem to be about Squeak/Squeal with different types of AF lenses with various cameras. So.....with regards to an F4, what is "Preview Squeal".?<br>

Thank You</p>

<p>Not sure about those two issues, but my F4 started developing some electronic issues after 7, 8 years. The first symptoms were electronic connectivity problems between the main body and the removable viewfinder, and I cleaned the electronic contacts between the two, around the focusing screen area. After another year or two, that F4 died (electronically) altogether. I still own it today but it wouldn't switch on any more.</p>

<p>If you are buying used, the good news is that such problem is going to be extremely obvious. :-)</p>

<p>Never had any of those issues with wither of the used F4 bodies I've bought. The "bleed" issue is readily detectable at time of inspection/purchase...but not inexpensive to replace. I've never heard of the "squeal" on the DOF stop down button (assuming that's what you're referring to). I'm not much of a repair person, but it seems that the cause could be either the button itself has some dirt/corrosion and could be very lightly lubricated, or it could be the lens aperture arm which it pushes, which probably isn't a function of the camera so much as the lens itself. Sometimes a minor adjustment of the lens arm solves its problems, as more often than not users are careless when setting them down and set them down on hard surfaces on their backsides instead of the front.</p>

<p>Appreciate the responses. I will have to ask a few more sellers. There seem to be A LOT of F4 available from Japan. I DID ask one seller, but there was a communication problem, and he did not understand my written English..... and I have no skill with Japanese. :-)<br>

I will ask another seller.<br>

Thanks Again</p>

<p>If the preview button is making a raspy sound and feels rough when pushed in, that's an indication the camera is likely developing a sticking diaphragm. Mine did and it resulted in erratic exposures. I had the camera professionally repaired and when it came back the preview button was smooth and quiet when pushed in and exposures were consistent.</p>
  • Like 1

<p>Actually, the LCD bleed thing is <strong>not</strong> always obvious when you examine the camera.</p>

<p>I owned an F4 that when I purchased it, appeared to be perfect. Yet one hot summer day, I pulled it out of the drawer to use and noticed the phenomenon, which had blacked out most of the frame counter readout. But later, on a cooler day, I grabbed the camera again (I was using it only infrequently, which is the main reason I sold it), and the problem seemed to have disappeared.</p>

<p>So, I would say that in <em>some</em> cases, the appearance of LCD bleed may be temperature dependent. Your camera might actually have it, but it may only manifest itself visibly on days where the temperature is at the right level for it to show.</p>

<p>Hey Bernard -<br>

I have heard similar advice lately.<br>

As far as I know, there is no fix for the (elusive) LCD Leak. And I also know of a transport gear problem as well. Parts cameras would be a must if I bought an F4.<br>

I do not own any Auto-Focus lenses anyway, and I shoot manual mode most of the time. No doubt the F4 was a great rig in its day, but now that Nikon no o longer supports it, I think I will just stick with the<br>

FM<br>

F2<br>

F3<br>

I have Plenty To Learn and Do without getting into an F4 as well.<br>

Thanks Again for all the gossip :-)</p>

<p>I have a little bit of bleed on the upper left LCD of my F4E but it does not protrude far enough into the window to be a problem. The F4 (in the S and E versions) is an outstanding film camera in every way, the only drawback for some is that it is heavy. But it is very robustly built as all of Nikon's cameras were in that era, and the ergonomics are so good that I really don't mind the weight.</p>

<p>I am not really sure what you mean by a squeal but I have not experienced any squeals in my F4E and I have had the thing for about 12 years.</p>

1- LCD bleed.

This bleed is simple to see even on Ebay images. The left hand LCD on the camera body is the culprit. The right hand one has no issue. Look at the images and if the lcd (left hand) is not a perfect rectangle, it is bleeding. Just have the seller take a pic with some light shinning thru the clear window at front of camera ( Images below are from Ebay and my parts camera)

Repairing the LCD bleed is not simple as the parts are not available from Nikon. There is a replacement on Ebay right now for $39 US from Turkey. I have purchased from him, without issue, before. I have a small parts stash for F4's.

Replacement requires separating the camera in two. One could replace just the LCD, but this is not for the non-tech and one risks ripping / braking the flexible PCB (FCP to Nikon) in the process.

I have never seen this bleed recede or go away. Once it starts it gets worse or remains as is. It does not vanish.

2- Squealing DOF preview.

Happens. Not a big deal but not simple to resolve as one must split camera in two to clean and apply a drop of lube.

Marc Fournier, Quebec