Taking stuido flash to the UK

ian_rose

A question for the electronics wizards

I have some Stuido Monolights which are 110 volt and we aree planning on returning to the UK next year upon my retirment.

what is the most economic thing to do.

1/ sell my present lights here in canada and buy new in the uk approx cost $1000 to 1500 cdn + the cost of modifiers

2/ Keep my present lights and phurchase a 220 to 110 transformer. This raises the next question how can you calcuate what size

transformer will be needed (dont want to be blowing fuses on the transformer due to high currant draw

3/ sell my present epqument and phurchase multi voltage epqument here in Canada IE the elenchrom D lite series

The lights I have at the moment are Flashpoint models

<p>I agree with option 1. Sell them and buy new units in the UK. While a transformer can easily drop the voltage, not sure whether the electronics of your lights would work with the 50 hz current as opposed to 60 hz. <br /><br />As for option 3, buying multivoltage gear... I would do that if you were moving to the UK temporarily and coming back in a couple of years. But you're moving permanently I would stick with option 1.</p>

<p>Most economical will be to get a transformer.</p>

<p>UK mains electricity is 230V or so and fuses up to 13 Amps. That is 230V x 13A = 2990W so about 3000W is the maximum you can get from one circuit braker. So you can hook several monolights to this one transformer.</p>

<p>A decent 3000W transformer 110V220V looks to be less be around $80 or so, for instance this:<br /> http://www.amazon.com/ELC-T-3000-3000-Watt-Converter-Transformer/dp/B00ER52DMW/</p>

<p>There is a chance that 50Hz or 60Hz could pose a problem though. A transformer inside the strobe that runs on 50Hz that was made for 60Hz will get hotter. If your strobes have fans or any kind of overheating protection I would not worry though.</p>

<p>A bigger problem would however be that you mistakenly connect your 110V strobe to a 220V outlet and fry it.<br /> Most strobes use power cords with regular IEC connectors on one end and a US power plug or UK power plug on the other end. If you keep your US power cords on your 110V equipment you can't fry them by mistake. But then you need to keep US extension cords around for your strobes. Otherwise it's easy to make a costly mistake.</p>

<p>But I suggest switching to multivoltage strobes and then just buy a set of UK power cords and 220V modeling light bulbs when you get there. It will make your life easier.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Most consumer grade transformers are not designed to handle the high amperage peak current draw a flash makes as it starts to recharge.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't know what most consumer transformers are designed for but if it's rated to use for running motors, it can be used for strobes. Motors draw 3-7 times their rated current at startup, that's more than strobes do. Transformers are not like inverters or generators. Transformers just get hot when overloaded.</p>

<p>But you need to pick capacity after how much current it uses, not the Ws rating of the monolight. So a 300Ws monolight need a bigger transformer than 300W and that is just for the strobe part. The modeling light also needs power. And if you are going to shoot continuously you need a transformer rated for continuous use. Otherwise it will eventually overheat.</p>

<p>PS. A transformer suitable for powering a couple of monolights with modeling lights is going to be a real heavy thing. It will weigh more than the monolights do.</p>

<p>I have no experience of this equipment but it would seem from this<br>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.X110+V+transformer.TRS0&_nkw=110+V+transformer&_sacat=0<br>

that suitable transformers rated at 3.3 kVA (13 A, the maximum that can be run through a domestic British power socket) are freely available for around US$80. Weight would seem to be about 13 kg/28.5 pounds.</p>

<p>Being in the UK - you should forget transformers they're just another 'thing' to add to the list of 'stuff' you need to do the basic thing of adding light. Sell your lights, buy new 240v stuff. In fact, sell your stuff and buy self regulating 240-110v lighting you can use anywhere like I did back in 1988 (still using them :) and the same parameters apply) Blabbing on about transformers is an amateurish way to conduct any serious business and should just be nipped in the bud before it ever gets started and you commit yourself to transformers exceeding the value of your lighting. The only transformer I posses is to power a 4 way Lumedyne charger which is a 110v version. The only thing you need to bear in mind with multi voltage lighting is that modelling lights need to be changed for 110v use and 240v use.. but if you don't travel with these then the 240v/250w bulbs work fine without any other consideration- which is how it should be.</p>

<p>Then... For travelling or location purposes I've dropped monolights for battery portables. Quantums in fact, they work anywhere with the output I need, without the voltage problems encountered and without the necessity for earth leakage trips.. 100ft extension cables.. multi adapters.. and an age to set up.</p>

<p>I don't know why I keep on having to mention this, I must come across as a complete bore, but thats the way it is and its about time people stopped pussyfooting around and stopped following the herd.</p>

<p>The disadvantage of battery portables is that they have restricted modelling lights at best. I've been using these for years without problems and even use studio strobes without modelling lights to a large degree. I would agree that a better modelling light solution would be a welcome addition but this would be the only compromise to be made. If I was really worried about this problem, I'd create a solution. I haven't. Ergo; Not really a problem - especially on location where ambient exceeds viable modelling light options.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em> transformers exceeding the value of your lighting</em><br>

Ian, the OP states it would cost $1500 Canadian plus the price of accessories to replicate his gear with British items. In what way is spending $80 in order to save $1500 "an amateurish way to conduct any serious business"? Secondly, I would estimate that the number of people bringing US-spec electrical equipment into Great Britain is relatively small – in what way is this "following the herd"? Of course, the ideal start-from-scratch approach would be to buy all British-spec equipment, but the OP creates the impression that his photography is for his personal pleasure in retirement, in which case a low-cost option would be attractive. I hate to say it, but I have great difficulty in following the logic of your posting.</p>