Light leak or developing errors

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I've just developed my first b&w film (Delta 400) from my Yashica Mat 124g (which is currently being serviced). I have found some fairly large blemishes on the sides of the frames and wondered whether this was light leaks or an issue with the developing? I'm using an AP tank and filled it to the correct amount (550ml) as per the tank details. Here's the image and this is fairly consistent with other frames on the roll:<br>

<a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/lud3t1cchb8nhwy/Ilford%20Delta%20400%201.jpg?dl=0">Photo 1</a><br>

I look forward to your thoughts.<br>

Oli</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Are this blemishes a pattern repeated in other frames, or maybe a longitudinal problem that affect the sides of the roll?<br /> (I tend to think is the second, maybe a light leak issue while manipulating the film while loading/unloading the camera).</p>

<p>It does look like a light leak, but as Jose said it could be from a roll that unspooled slightly during loading or unloading in bright light. Or the Yashica's film door may need attention. Those TLR film doors can be a bit delicate and sprung out of alignment.</p>

<p>Thanks all.<br>

The blemishes are the rest of the frames in various sizes - it's not equal by any measure. I load the tank using a dark tent so it may well be from a slight unspooling. My Yashica is back from being CLA'd today so will shoot some frames over the weekend and see what comes out. </p>

<p>Looks like a light leak to me. </p>

<p>You were using roll film. One of the 'known issues' with roll film is that if the camera doesn't roll the film tightly enough, you can get light leaks along the edges after you take the exposed film out of the camera. </p>

<p>You have fogging on both edges of the film. A processing fault would likely present itself as underdevelopment along one edge only. Fogging on both edges suggests that the film roll wasn't tight enough and light was leaking around the plastic spool and into the edges of the film.</p>

<p>In the distant past, Kodak always recommended loading and unloading cameras in shaded areas rather than in direct sun. That recommendation was specifically intended to reduce the risk of this kind of problem.</p>

• 4 weeks later...