A Praktica Puzzle

<p>Now this is where I'm going to miss <strong>JDM</strong>; he and <strong>Subbarayan Prasanna</strong> were my mentors when it came to sorting out problems and gathering information regarding Praktica cameras. But there may be a new guru waiting in the wings? If so, your help would be appreciated. Anyway, this fine black Praktica PLC 2 arrived a while ago. </p><div>00dNad-557514484.jpg.e635c87f3c2c7de2ed51eceec3e8d225.jpg</div>

<p>I'd bought it (sight or photo unseen) from a guy who swore it was "as new, mint, looks unused"' and he was right; even the black case looks as if it's just come out of the box. It still had an old 4.5 volt battery aboard, and while there had been a tiny leakage the corrosion was minimal and, after cleaning, the electrics are fine. What puzzles me is the absence of the white model letters that should be on the face of the camera adjacent to the shutter release, as below.</p><div>00dNaf-557514584.jpg.698a5df9175164f5abbfe042b8ffc2aa.jpg</div>

<p>Now, I have several black Prakticas and in most cases the white lettering shows partial obliteration or at least signs of wear, but then so do the cameras, with a bit of brassing here and there and the odd scratch, but this body is flawless. There's a very faint outline of the missing letters in the surface of the enamel, but not the usual indentation into which the paint is applied,and no trace of paint whatsoever. I've roamed around the internet looking at every photograph of the PCL-2 I could find and found most with worn lettering, but also a couple of very tidy examples apparently without the lettering. I'd even wondered if the body had been repainted, but the white Pentacon emblems and manufacturing information on the baseplate are untouched.</p>

<p>So, does anyone know if there were two versions, with or without the lettering? It really doesn't matter, given that the camera is in such nice shape, but my curiosity is aroused.</p>

<p><strong>Rick Hi!</strong><br>

I saw a similar one advertised on Ebay UK without the model number, such as in PLC2. My guess is a couple of possibilities. <strong>(1)</strong> One is that some local trading company in Europe bought these in bulk in the expectation that they will monogram it suitably. But then they might have decided to sell the same as it was. <strong>(2)</strong> The second possibility is that the top of the camera was added later on from an earlier model such as the early "L". Some of the early Ls did not have the model number.<br>

Both are guesses. I have no evidence. So both speculations could be wrong. Ah! just to remind you that the PLC2 also has a bridge circuit and can work with 1.5 Volt torch cells, easily. I recall that you had some experience with a PLC3. My PLC2 works that way. Some others may need a little re-calibration.<br>

Yes Sir! as you mentioned, I miss JDM on such issues! The kind of question you raised makes this Forum very interesting. JDM might have added some humorous note too! Best, sp.</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>SP</strong>! Two good theories there; I think the first is more likely in that the "PLC 2" appears to be etched underneath the enameled surface, and it's certainly a possibility that there was an intention to print some other logo over the top. And yes, I recall our earlier correspondence regarding the bridge circuit; this example seems fine on the 1.5v battery, reading within 1/2 stop of my Gossens Lunasix, up and down the scale. I have a slightly more worn PLC 3 which also reads OK on the 1.5 volt cell, but it's nice to find such a tidy PLC 2. Thanks for your help, as always.</p>

<p>It might just be a manufacturing mistake that slipped through quality control. </p>

<p>Is there anything "electric" about that Pentacon 50/1.8, or is that just marketing? I have one that is labeled "auto" instead of "electric." It looks the same as yours on the surface.</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Cory</strong>, <strong>Allard</strong> has nailed the "electric" bit. I might put this beauty through it's paces and post some more detailed stuff; I suspect that Pentacon pioneered non-mechanical open aperture metering with this electronic aperture simulation system. It was certainly cutting-edge, in the mid '70's.</p>

<p>The Praktica also pioneered an electronic shutter in the last of the Nova 1 series around 1968. Those cameras are rare and are quoted for a very high price on Ebay. Years later, I think the same shutter mechanism with bladed steel curtains was used in the B-Series. Some of those designers were highly reputed and dedicated people. sp.</p>

Things do go wrong and escape the attention of those paid to notice when things go wrong. Just a sample that escaped both the silk screen printer and the eye of the QC inspector?<br><br>I thought that those gold Wehrmacht Leicas and their less fancy brethren were the Warsaw pact Leicas, Robin.<br>Prakticas were cheap, not great, but quite usable alternatives for the more expensive cameras and enjoyed a healthy popularity. Just like Orwo film. Not so good, but cheap. No mystique to understand. Just not being expensive.

<p>There are a few people re-painting Prakticas all sorts of odd colours lately, Rick. Not that I'm suggesting this was done to your example in the recent past, simply that it is not unknown. In general, I like Prakticas. I loaded a roll of Pan F Plus into one of my FXs the other day. Might take it out this afternoon. I bought a Praktina last week too. And so it goes...</p>

<p>You're right about the re-decoration trends, <strong>Brett</strong>, but I think this is original, and I'm<em> not</em> tempted to cover it in red lizard skin... I like Prakticas because I like square, clean, minimalist design, and the lack of frills doesn't bother me in the least. The PLC2 with it's "zero the needle" meter display in the viewfinder is all I need; I have a fair idea of whether I'm favouring aperture or speed, and adjust one or the other accordingly, and I can make exposure compensation by offsetting the needle...What more do I want? They're solid and reliable and I find them agreeable to handle. The Praktina will be a fine addition to your collection. Please post a few pics when you get the chance.</p>

<p>"And so it goes..." Perhaps Billy Joel owned one... ;-)</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>To end all speculation : as to my horror I had to find out myself it's all too easy to wipe out those painted letters just by rubbing with your fingers ! The Jenaflex cameras with golden text seem even more prone to rub off, considering the condition of those you find for sale.</p>