old 1D for 300 bucks to see in the arctic...is it a feasible solution to -50

heningstepfield

4 months ago I took a job in Canada's arctic, 900 miles from the nothing pole. My 5d2 felt like it was going to tank....but it kept going. No

probs with my 100 to 400 l, or my 24 to 105 l. But thought about how best to prepare for next year. I'm wondering if I go old school and

snag a 300 buck 1DS II at 8 megs, could I get a decent 8 x 11 print. I have two Epson 2880 13 x 19 printers, will a 1DS 2 get me there....my want of something 100percent weatherproof on the cheap is driving this discussion, something that will mate with my l glass Would great.

<p>You know the conditions better than we do but AFAIK (low) temperature is more a problem than snow/rain/fog. At -50 the oil in the camera may freeze but since your 5D2 kept working this doesn't seem to be a problem. Switching to a 1DS2 doesn't seem to solve a problem but it's probably nice to shoot with one.</p>

<p>You won't get a 1DsII for 300 bucks so I assume you're talking about a 1D MkII. I have one and it's a great old camera. 8x11 prints will be great and the AF of the 1D is incredible. </p>

<p>The only thing to warn you about is the LCD screen and the crazy method of operation. The playback and menu system feels totally alien compared to the 5D2 and must have been designed by a deranged monkey. The screen is poor and is no good for checking focus so I just leave it turned off. </p>

<p>If you're not shooting fast paced action I would stick with the 5D2, it's a very robust camera. Just don't get it wet!</p>

<p>The condition of the batteries is an important question to consider. After a few years, in my experience, camera batteries tend to lose their performance in the cold. If you can get new batteries for the camera it would be good. -50 C/F is very cold though, I'm not sure if there are any guarantees of success with any camera in that kind of weather. Also how to operate the camera in the cold and keep the photographer (including fingers) warm is another question. ;-) </p>

<p>Hi guys - thanks for your thoughts!<br>

I arrived in the arctic late Feb 2015, I mostly used my 5D2.<br>

Odd things were happening - at one point a horizontal line appeared across the back LCD. After it warmed up, the line went away (thank god!)<br>

Breathing was a challenge, as the moisture from my breath would fog my view in a nano second. I learned to turn my head away from the camera while framing, this worked most of the time. (sometimes I would simply hold my breath until I snapped an exposure.<br>

Prior to arrivail, and fearing for the worse, I did snag a weatherproof richoh wg4 that has work without a hitch...interesting little camera - I have not printed anything out yet from it - perhaps that will be my weekend's challenge.<br>

I have an old canon T90 that I will subject to the arctic, as well I have a weather sealed EOS 1 that will be thrown into the arctic as well.<br>

So I have a few options:<br>

On the issue of the 1Ds, they are in-fact available at the $300 range - check out 'that' auction site - they are there, that's why I posed the question as to the utility of a beast like that ...fully weather sealed...in the arctic...I may just push the button on the beast, although, as mentioned, there are aging battery concerns..in the sub arctic cold.<br>

Here in Grise Fiord, Nunavut, it's snowing a tad today (in June!) but the weather for the next few months will not present a challenge for any of my cameras, it's the October to April run that I'm actively attempting to provision for.<br>

On that note - ha ha - I brought my old hawkeye brownie and my Holga along for the ride. Here's to medium format at less then 20 bucks a camera - who knows, they may survive to the best out of the bunch of them...as for the hawkeye browie, my brother and I used to use such a beast as a weapon...and it kept on clicking...(I have left my Hasselblad at home..for fear of 50 year old grease freezing up)<br>

I'll decide this weekend if I go the way of an aging cheap 8 or 11 megabite 1Ds option...they do look rather properly sealed, and dying in the arctic would be an honourable passing for any aging camera that was attempting to capture a picture of a lifetime.<br>

(so far only fell through the ice once up to my waist...a cold walk home indeed, I've learned when exploring unfamiliar territory, it's best to bring a friend) </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Hening,<br>

Yours first and only question was if 1DS would give you 8x11 prints. I never owned original 1D neither 1DS; however Jamie has answered the question in the post. I, personally, was skeptical about digital when the cameras started to show up and my first one was Canon S80 point-n-shoot sporting 8MP small sensor. From that one I was getting beautiful 8x10 and 8x12 prints. I'm sure 1DS will beat S80 hands down in this or any other area.<br>

On the other note I have been shooting in Arctic a lot. In February-March 2011 while being a part of the Polar Ring Expedition on our first attempt to cross Arctic from Russia (Archipelago Severnaya Zemlya) via North Pole to Canada (Resolute Bay) I brought the original 5D and 1D MarkIII. The temperature range was from -37C to -48C and both cameras worked great. However, a non-OEM battery pack for 1D Mark III that I bought off e-Bay died after sitting in the Pelican case in cold temperature for 3-4 days not taking charge any more. On the other hand non-OEM batteries for 5D (cheap) had no problem to hold the charge like the original Canon batteries.<br>

The second attempt to cross Arctic we took in 2014 (February-March) starting from continental part of Russia in Siberia (Novy Urengoj). This time I brought 5D MkII and 1DX. The temperature was below -35C and quite few days it was steady at -52C. Both cameras worked great, the lenses (16-35, 24-70 and 100-400) had no any issues whatsoever.<br>

I always had spare batteries in my internal pockets. Bringing cameras back into the warm (5C - 10C) vehicle environment was not a problem - I put the cameras back in the bag, zipped it and kept it zipped in the vehicle for an hour or two.<br>

Happy shooting, Hening.</p>

<p>Thanks Serguei,<br>

Nice to understand that you have enjoyed the minus 50 shoot experience...with no camera scars to show for it.<br>

I was very alarmed when a horizontal line appeared across my 5D2's screen, but as mentioned, it did go away after a warm-up.<br>

I forgot to mention, that in addition to the line - the camera's functions would slow down, becoming somewhat sluggish, this alarmed me (I scare easy!) hence my quest to seek an alternative. <br>

There appears to be tons of lower priced used weather sealed cameras in the market right now that appeal to me. I think I'll snag a few and see which ones go the distance.<br>

And, should all else fail...I'll keep my Holga and Hawkeye Brownie on my side<br>

Forgot to mention - I have a Nikon f100 that I'm willing to subject to the tortures of a frozen shoot as well....here's for the art of the possible...one frozen picture at a time.<br>

Cheers</p>

<p>Batteries need to be kept in peak condition. A fading battery can slow down functions.</p>

<p>If 8"x11" is all you're going to need, then there are tons of inexpensive options. I'd still try to shoot everything that I could with the 5D2, in case I wanted a 48" wall hanger of one of the images.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have an old canon T90 that I will subject to the arctic<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Forget the T90, your film will snap as it becomes very brittle at such extreme temperatures. If you want to try film use a camera with a manual winding mechanism so that you can gently wind on each frame.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> <br>

On the issue of the 1Ds, they are in-fact available at the $300 range - check out 'that' auction site - they are there, that's why I posed the question as to the utility of a beast like that ...fully weather sealed</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In your original post you were asking about the 1Ds2. You will not get a 1Ds2 for $300 unless the seller is an idiot or the camera is broken.</p>

<p>You will however get a 1Ds Mk1 or a 1D MkII for $300. Just because the 1D cameras are pro bodies does not mean they will perform better in the cold. They are weather sealed but they are not cold sealed. A low temperature affects all cameras regardless of their build quality and sealing.</p>

<p>Stick with the 5D2. Keep the camera and the batteries as warm as possible. A bit of old blanket wrapped around it and a couple of those disposable heat packs will do the job.</p>

<p>Hi - sorry for the 1D(s) flub<br>

I have not played with the 1D(s) line...it appears that I have not correctly identified the $300 option - for this I apologise - as you have indicated the lesser 1d's are available on the cheap - so these will be my future consideration<br>

Interesting to know about the cold - I had assumed that the weather seal would offer a chunk-o-protection...if this is not the case,<br>

then,<br>

I think I'll snag an old 5D (not MKii) as at 12 meg, and compatibility with my L galss...it appears that I can enjoy taking it to it's (potential) frosty grave in a manner that exceeds an 8 meg older 1D...and offers me a half decent resolution <br>

My fingers are my litmus test - they tend to get frozen just prior to my 5Dmkii acting sluggish<br>

again, my mechanical hawkeye brownie and Holga may be my best option for resolution (thanks for the advice on the winding mech being a potential hazzared...I'll stick to manual wind come cold season<br>

funny how a hawkeye brownie ($20) may trump teck...in a survival sense...in extreme weather<br>

On an aside: In Pond Inlet, NU , Can in 2009, I had a sony vid cam disintegrate at minus 55, common knowledge at the time, the A cameraman stated that at minus 35 a dig would brick...so we shot on film on Super 16...it worked (I was line producing and shooting behind the sense with the 'to be dead' sony)<br>

I've helped produce films in the arctic for 15 years now - from my frontline experience, I think that as long as there is film, a movie stands a chance of being shot in the arctic ...at most any temperature<br>

But I've been wrong before...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Thomas - I have really not had troubles with power - the problem observation (now that I am thinking of it) is the sluggish behaviour of my 5dmk2 at extreme arctic temeraptures - hence my quest for a solution.<br>

based upon what folks have contributed (and thank you!) I have a few choices<br>

1. keep going with the 5DMK2 next year - cause it did not die during last the year<br>

or<br>

2. snag a disposable (yesteryear) camera - that was at one point high end<br>

I am going to combine the 2 - continue with my5DMK2 - but slip into my fav - that being the usage of film <br>

I have brought a handful of film cameras - ranging from an EOS - 1, a Nikon F100, hawkeye brownie Holga...and a fist full of others<br>

In addition - I think I will pick up an old 5D...and send it to its grave on cold cold cold days<br>

Should know what works and does not by April of next year - for now - in Grise Fiord (North Americas most northern community...the weather is actually above freezing...and the photo experience is devine<br>

Ill report back every month or so with a pic from 900 miles south of the north pole<br>

Cheers</p>