Blank Shots with Mamiya RB67

christina_jow

<p>I have a Mamiya RB67 and I've been having issues with getting blank shots on my negatives. Normally I'd chalk it up to my own error (such as forgetting to disengage mirror lock-up), but from my most recent roll, I can be nearly certain that at least some of the blank shots were not my fault.<br>

In this roll, I was trying to create a panorama by taking multiple shots of a scene, and stitching them together later in Photoshop. I took three shots of the scene, and only the first and last turned out; the second was blank. I think it's safe to assume that, because I took each shot immediately after the last, my procedure for each was exactly the same and the camera's settings did not change.<br>

I tried to take a few panoramas and this happened multiple times. Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate it, thanks so much!</p>

<p>The shutter may be sticking. I have a Bronica ETRSi that did the same thing. Took a while to figure it out. Turns out that it only needed the tiniest bit of NYOIL on one of the moving parts inside the body (a lever and it's bearing surface accessible without having to demantle the thing). It wasn't moving quickly enough to completely engage the shutter release mechanism, and thus would hang up.</p>

<p>Does it happen with just one lens?</p>

<p>I haven't had the same issue with one of my RB's as yet. If you undertake an investigation, unless you have a needle oiler, use a toothpick to apply any oil. SPARINGLY would be an understatement.</p>

<p>Considering the cost of a CLA vs. the relatively low cost of another body nowadays, some people like to troubleshoot their own equipment. </p>

<p>DISCLAIMER: I'm NOT recommending you start taking things apart, or start oiling things, just hoping my experience with the Bronica will be of assistance.</p>

<p>Christina I am now convinced that you are just trolling for possibilities so that you can figure it out yourself.<br>

Back in 1857 I purchased a RB67 with 127mm lens and roll film back with a half exposed roll of Kodacolor in the 120 roll film holder. The camera was jammed up and would not operate in any fashion. The only manual available online was a user manual. After a thorough inspection I determined the camera had a mechanical problem. Removing the back and rotating adapter was simple but the lens release would not budge. I removed the bottom plate, studied the levers, shafts, gears, removed what was necessary, counted the turns as spring loaded parts were removed loosening the tension that had the lens release jammed. Once the lens was off the body operated properly so I touched up the oil and grease as needed and put it back together.</p>

<p>Upon disassembling the lens and removing the cover over the shutter I found the main cocking spring post severely worn preventing the main cocking gear from turning. I bought another 127mm lens, repaired light leaks in the back and got the camera working smoothly and consistently.</p>

<p>Now you are possibly reinserting the darkslide between shots and forgetting to remove it, hanging you hat or other object over the lens and forgetting to remove it or the camera has a <strong>major</strong> mechanical problem that needs experienced servicing and I am not interested in doing. The easiest test is to attach a different lens and back (aka roll film holder) and see if the same problem occurs.</p>

<p>The RB67 was still being sold new when I sold mine in 1912 and moved on to 4x5 format.</p>

<p>Dates were changed to protect the guilty.</p>

• 2 weeks later...