Which lens to take on vacation

john_patterson9

This fall I have the chance to take a family vacation through the Panama Canal. I will be using my Nikon D5300, but would like some

ideas which would be the best lenses to take along.

My choice are. . .

18-55

18-140

55-300

150-600 Tamron

Fisheye/wide angle

40mm

Yes some of these are redundant but that's what I have acquired over the years (there's even a 18-135 lol)

The combination that makes the most sense to me would be 18-140 & 150-600, they only down side is the Tamron is a pretty hefty lens

to carry around

Thanks to all in advance

<p>John, it'll highly depend on what you want to photograph. Panama is well known for its bird photography as the continent tapers to a narrow area that birds need to migrate through (and that is why they built the canal there) so that there is a heavy concentration of migrating birds.</p>

<p>If you want to photograph birds, definitely bring the 150-600 and a tripod. If you just want some "typical" vacation images, bring the 18-140 and maybe the 55-300 also. Leave the 150-600 home.</p>

<p>oh gosh, 150-600 on a family vacay? surely nothing can go wrong there. sounds like there's a unique opportunity for bird photography specifically, but you have to think logistically about how that would work. namely, how are you going to be traveling? car, bus, plane, train, boat? if you're going for 2 weeks total but only in the Canal zone for 3 days, that means the majority of your trip you'll be lugging around a 4 lb lens you wont use much. you essentially need to plan an itinerary around a lens, which may defeat the purpose of family relaxation time.</p>

<p>John - I would take one of these combos:<br /> #1: 18-140 + 150-600<br /> The 18-140 should provide a nice range for most situations, and then you have the big gun for prime wildlife opportunities.</p>

<p>#2: 18-55 + 55-300</p>

<p>Very compact kit. This way you have your normal zoom and then a pretty long telephoto zoom.</p>

<p>Vacation is always a tough one. On the one hand, vacation is a great reason to use the camera gear. On the other hand, you don't want to compromise the vacation. So, if you are excited about using the long telephoto then I would bring it (if feasible). If you just feel an <em>obligation</em> to bring the perfect gear, than I would go light and don't stress the big lens.</p>

<p>On a family vacation the lenses that I would choose from your selection would be the 18-140 and the 55-300. The 150-600 might tend to cause friction with the family, and carrying it around would be a pain. Enjoy the trip, not many get to visit there.</p>

<p>The 18-140mm and 10-24mm Nikon or Tamron is your best combination. You won't need a long tele for a Panama cruise. The highlight of your trip will be going through the locks. Tele for the approach, mostly wide-angle for the transit. </p>

<p>When I travel I take the 18-55 and the 55-300, in part because it's what I have, and it's a nice compact combination that doesn't represent a huge investment if lost, broken or stolen. But if I had an 18-140 I'd be inclined to take that instead of the 18-55, because it's better made, easily polarized, and the longer reach reduces the need for lens swapping on the go.</p>