Monday in Nature Weekly Photo May 4, 2015

Laura Weishaupt

<p>Laura,</p>

<p>I'm just amazed one might get 25 keepers out of 30 shots. Sounds like something I might have dreamt once.</p>

<p>No scat, but this tree swallow with its head screwed on backwards no doubt dropped some.</p><div>00dH1a-556611784.jpg.cb93cf8a0f738613c58e40142673d591.jpg</div>

<p>Tony, that image makes me want to melt. It's simply beautiful.</p>

<p>For those of you who may have not been around or missed it for whatever reason, <a href="/nature-photography-forum/00bkQm">check this</a> out from the early days of MiN. It's one of my all time favorite posts and worthy of mention this week.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Well, she was giving me the eye....reacting to many of us stopping (in Denali). This female was chased by the bull moose...so any sort of posing was coincidental. Don't get me started on mooskie droppings in chocolate :>).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Leszek great un-posed moose pose! And for a moment I thought you were going to finish with a reference to the master of imagery-without-a-camera, better known as <a href="

Phillips</a> ;)</p>

<p>Happy Monday everybody. I just started to continue a local river project I've been working on for some time so I have new images to sort through. In the bog area there are some big resident carp and this one was having a great time filtering off goodies from the top. <br>

Nikon D7100, 400mm Nikkor ED-IF f3.5 @ 5.6, 1/1250, ISO400 </p><div>00dH29-556612584.JPG.502b6d09de4cc8b6ed6cca83b2b4b910.JPG</div>

<p>Well, I was all set to include a flower shot taken with my new camera but the topic sort of started... well south. So, in keeping with the fungus theme, I drug out an old shot taken in South Carolina on a hiking path leading to a waterfall. The 'shrooms were abundant and very picturesque. These were taken with sunlight reflected upwards from a small reflector as well as diffused flash. The lighting is a little unusual coming from the bottom but I found it more interesting than direct flash. A little 'shroom city on a hill.</p>

<p>Tom</p><div>00dH2h-556613984.jpg.d5055cd98bfda6986e6b3fb4d678f77d.jpg</div>

<p>While hiking and photographing in Death Valley the week before last, I spotted this burro. They were once common in the park (introduced by early miners), but were largely removed in the late eighties because they too-successfully competed with native species for food. But, there are still a few around.</p><div>00dH3M-556615284.jpg.4293bf3b42f463dbc2fc6ebe4e4943a1.jpg</div>

<p>Yes, there are so much to see, and to learn, when we look closely at anything.</p>

<p>Here is a backside look at a big tropical leaf (Elephant's Ear? Alocasia? Or...?). I apologize for not being able to participate yesterday (Monday) due to a crazy busy day. </p><div>00dH6e-556627684.jpg.549b45399f5e6e1cf93a9a84915c9446.jpg</div>