Starnge soft focus at 1.8

With a fotodiox m42 screw mount adapter with glass to infinity mounted on a nikon dslr d3200 with a pentax takumar smc 50 mm 1.8 i

get this strange soft image at. 1.8 . But stoppede down to 2.8 , 4 and so on the images gets really nice. But why this at 1.8 .? Will it do the

same on my slr ( i havent tried yet) ?<div>00dQqZ-557969184.jpg.28bfbeb90f8859277f7599885d8fba99.jpg</div>

<p>Most lenses are pretty soft wide open....they typically are optimized (resolution, distortion correction, etc) about 2 stops away from wide open - that's the physics of optical design, unless you are willing to pay exhorbitant prices for highly corrected lenses. The Takumar is an old design, which many people (me included) love for its rendering. Learn how to take advantage of its characteristics and you will come to love it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>With a fotodiox m42 screw mount adapter with glass to infinity</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree with Stephen on getting some nice soft effects wide open with that lens, but also keep in mind the tolerances involved with using an adapter on a lens on a body it was not specifically designed for. Your "infinity" setting on the lens may or may not be placed exactly. I have many legacy lenses that focus past infinity.</p>

<p>In addition to Stephen's comments, I also noticed that the background is sharper than the face. Manual focusing on auto focus DSLRs is sometimes very difficult, so that may be part of your problem also.</p>