Wireless Shutter Release for Canon 7D

rogernoel

<p> Late next month we are taking a 12 day cruise to Alaska.. I plan to have Canon 7D with the 100-400 mm lens mounted on a tripod sitting outside of our cabin. I want to be able to press a button and get a picture of the shore or a passing vessel. In my research to find such a device, I find that they all require you to be in front of the lens. I do not walk on water, although I thought I could some times, but surely there is such a device available. Help. <br /> <br /> <br /> </p>

<p>I use <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753841-REG/Vello_RWII_C_FreeWave_Plus_Wireless_Remote.html">this device</a>, which can only be purchased from B&H under this name. There may be other brands selling the same product.<br /> <br />It works incredibly well and has the added benefit that it will work without the batteries as a wired remote, which can be useful in some situations, such as when you forgot that the batteries had been in it for months and were run down.</p>

<p>"I find that they all require you to be in front of the lens." <br>

Roger, I'm glad I seen your post because I don't remember testing my Canon RC-6 wireless remote controller from behind the camera. So, I performed a test using the subject controller and my two cameras. The results were a little strange. Using the remote behind both cameras the shutter was activated when the remote was 9 feet behind my 5D mk III and at approximately 4 1/2 feet behind my 7D mk II. (Just a quick test - not scientific: no battery replacement since I purchased the controller in July 2012). You will have to draw your own conclusions.</p>

<p>Be careful of vibrations transferring from the deck to the tripod and then to the camera.<br>

I think you'll find a tripod won't be useful for this scenario. At the very least, test it after you're under way and check the file(s) at 100% before you shoot too many images.<br>

JD</p>

<p>Finding a remote is easy enough. But what are you going to do about composition? I could see placing a camera with a wide angle lens outside and triggering it remotely. You could set it up for you're getting a wide view of whatever the boat passes, exact composition would not be critical and you could crop to fix things later. But a 100-400 is going to have a very narrow field of view, especially if you use it at 400. I would think it would be virtually impossible to know what you're shooting unless you're either at the camera or use some sort of remote live view in addition to the remote trigger.</p>

<p>Joseph, I thought about the vibrations, but thought with the IS and a high shutter speed, that might not be significant. Obviously I will take a look at my first shots to see what success I have. </p>

<p>Craig, I actually don't think the Ship is going to be that close to the shore that I will get a narrow FOV. This is an ocean liner, Oceania Regatta, and my neighbor said he had done this. It is no big thing, but I think it is worth a try. I can also use the 70-200 Canon lens and even the 17-55 Canon lens. This is a 12 day cruise and I will have plenty of time to experiment. if nothing comes of it, it was worth a try. I have good success taking photos from a ship. I am not sure, but I think that I even have some on this forum. I will look.<br>

Appreciate the suggestions and comments. </p>

<p>Roger, even with the 70-200, even at 70mm, I think the angle of view would be too narrow to easily get good pictures this way. There are at least three factors at play -- 1) getting the image aligned vertically. Even if you have the viewfinder centered on the horizon, you might be cutting off the top of some things and bottom of others, depending on their distance from the ship; 2) left-to-right alignment. You could get something dead center or you could cut if off on either side; 3) timing. Even if everything is line up perfectly, it will only be perfect for a matter of seconds. With your eye to the camera you just click. But from inside your stateroom, by the time you notice what's going by and get to shoot, it could be at least out of alignment if not gone.<br /><br />At the very least, you would need to be positioned where you are in line with the viewfinder on the back of the camera so you have some idea of where the subject is relative to the camera. If you've off to either side of the camera, it's a total guessing game.<br /><br />When remote cameras are used, it's usually in a very fixed, controllable situation. It's common, for example, to see a bunch of remote cameras set up at the finish line of a horse race like the Kentucky Derby. The photographer knows that the horses are going to be coming across a very specific line, exactly how wide the area is and how high, and can put a wide lens on the camera that takes it all in. After the fact, they can crop within the area that's captured. Another example is a remote camera on top of a basketball backboard. Again, you know pretty much where the subject will be.<br /><br />You might have better luck with the 17-55, but it would have to be for something that is close to the ship or some broad landscapes/seascapes.<br /><br />Just my thoughts. I hope you find a way to make it work.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Craig,</p>

<p >You have made some excellent points relative to my ability to be able to take a picture via the remote when I am in my cabin. This will be our 8<sup>th</sup> cruise and I have had some great shots on entering and departing a harbor, but it has generally been with the Canon 17-55 mm lens.. I have not used the 70-200, 70-300 or the older vesion of the Canon 100-400. I have decided not to take the latter, my bird lens.. It is just too heavy. This all started with a friend , who uses remotes frequently suggesting that I consider using my cameras on a remote with a tripod on our balcony on the ship.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Your comments have caused me to reconsider completely what I will take on this trip. I am considering going with just one DSLR 7D and a small Canon Powershot P and S. I will take the Canon 17-55mm and a Sigma 10-20 mm. Doing a little research since I read your comments, I find that most of my cruise photos have been taken with the Canon 17-55mm. This cruise is no different than one to the Baltics or Black Sea.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thank you for your comments.</p>