Nikon 85mm 1.8 on A7II

<p>I was thinking about the 90mm 2.8 to replace my 85mm 1.4 sigma as my portrait lens but I really don't want to add large lens to my mirrorless setup. I was thinking of using Nikon 85mm 1.8 G lens with a metabones adapter instead and sale my Sigma 85mm 1.4.<br>

I mainly do street photography and events so if I do 35mm 2.8/55mm 1.8 and the Nikon 85mm 1.8g my system would be relatively still small in size.<br>

I look at the 35mm 1.4fe and 90mm 2.8fe and all I see is DSLR lens size wise and it's the size factor that made me decide to sell all my Nikon full frame gear and I don't want to compromise. Any thoughts/ suggestions.<br>

I</p>

<p>Smaller and no compromise, I would look at Leica/Zeiss M-mount lenses - they're smaller, but that does come at a price indeed. The Nikon 85 f/1.8G - it's not huge nor very heavy, but I wouldn't call it small either. In fact, many of the newer AF lenses are quite a big larger; if you'd be willing to go for the older MF lenses, you can probably find smaller lenses, and save quite a bit of money. In Nikon-land, the AiS 105 f/2.5 would be my choice.</p>

<p>The 85/1.8G is a great lens. In image terms it should do well on an A7II, but remember that you'll be using an adapter with aperture control on the adapter. It's a bit of a pain. I think I'd do what Wouter said and get a 105mm AIS manual focus lens, which is also smaller than the 85/1.8G, and wait it out until Zeiss comes up with an 85mm Loxia.</p>

<p>If you don't want big lenses, stay away from that 35/1.4 - check out the 35/2.0 Loxia instead. </p>

<p>The Canon FDn 85mm f/1.8 is a pleasure to use and reasonably compact as is the Canon FDn 100mmf/2. Want smaller? Go slower. The Contax G Zeiss 90mm f/2.8 is wonderful and tiny if you don't mind a fiddly MF adapter. Recently I've been using the old, chrome Canon LTM 85mm f/2 which is very compact if a bit front heavy. </p>

<p>I reviewed the Nikon 85mm/f1.8 AF-S G lens for photo.net: http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/lenses/85mm-f1.8-g-af-s/review/<br>

It is an excellent lens and a bargain, on Nikon F-mount bodies that are compatible with G lenses. On a Sony body, however, you'll lose auto focus and controlling the aperture will be a pain since Nikon G lenses have no aperture ring. Unless you can find a way to resolve that issue, I would find a better solution.</p>

<p>The Novoflex Nikon to Sony adapter has a ring, marked o----O, to set the aperture of a G lens. The Novoflex is a premium devices, and there are cheaper adapters with similar capabilities. While not calibrated in f/stops, the Novoflex ring yields a subjective approach which can be evaluated in the A7 viewfinder. It is stiff enough to hold its setting in normal handling. It is left in the open setting for lenses with aperture setting rings.</p>

<p>The auto focus Nikon lenses I have are fairly easy to use in manual mode on an A7ii. The throw is short, but easy enough to finesse with your fingers resting partly on the body. The action is very light, and easily disturbed in handling. Manual focus Nikon lenses aren't much better in that regard. Manual lenses designed for a Leica or the A7 have a better feel. The shortest AF throw I've ever used was on a Nikon 28-105/3.5-5.6, and that worked just fine in manual mode on an F3</p>

<p>I programmed button C2 (near the shutter release) to activate focus magnification. I turned focus peaking off for the moment. I find the white sparkles distracting when I'm trying to compose, and not needed if magnification is employed. Peaking is useful in full-frame viewing and faster than using magnification, but not nearly as accurate.</p>

• 2 weeks later...