Video and Raw on D810

Philip Freedman

I have just started to use my D810 for video as well as stills. I have set a custom picture control wth reduced sharpening etc for video

use. Do I have to change the pictures control setting back to normal every time I want to take a still picture and then back again to take in

video? I am taking only raw still pictures, not JPEGs. Or does the camera ignore the picture settings when taking in raw? I use

Lightroom to convert to DNG etc.

Thanks

Philip

<p>The NEF (raw) file contains all the sensor image data plus the camera settings used. You can override any of the settings for the camera picture controls, white balance etc using the data in the NEF file. The conversion to DNG usually will allow the same override capability.<br>

The picture control setting only affects the camera produced JPEG file.</p>

<p>Lorne is pointing out that picture control settings only affect camera-produced JPEG files, not NEF (RAW). There is no point to keep changing your picture control settings when you switch between video and still capture. Doing so, you are creating opportunities that you'll forget to switch and will inevitably be using the wrong settings for your video capture in some occasions.</p>

<p>If it best to keep things simple. If you use Lightroom, it is simple to globally apply adjustment to a group of images if that is necessary.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"but does that mean that I would have to make adjustments in Lightroom to counteract the picture control settings?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's no need if the camera has a separate Movie menu as on the D7200. The movie Picture Control menu is completely separate from the stills one. Otherwise you have to set up a preset action to put the adjustments right in Lightroom.</p>

<p>Thanks Rodeo Joe. I somehow thought picture control for still and video were separate, but I took a look at my D800E (as I don't have a D810) and didn't find separate menus. And just now I checked my D750 as it has come back from Nikon repair. On the D750, there are separate Photo Shooting Menu and Movie Shooting Menu.</p>

Philip: Lightroom, because Nikon has chosen to keep their picture style settings on an undocumented data fork in the

NEF file , has no idea that any of the Picture Style settings exist.

If you have certain combinations of develop module settings that you use regularly - like sharpening, dehaze, clarity, white

balance, vibrance or saturation, camera profile, etc. - create presets of the different combinations and then choose one to

be applied during import.

With Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom, your original raw data will still be intact in case you change your mind later, the

develop settings are just like a recipe, letting you have your cake and eat it too.