Natural landscapes - Ann Arbor, MI or Redmond, WA

photoprospect

<p><strong>Backround</strong><br>

I was just notified that I'm going to the US in a couple of weeks (and need to book the flights ASAP).<br>

Sorry to be asking this question w/o having researched first, but if you'd be so kind as to throw in a recommended place or two it would really help me out.<br>

<strong>What I'm looking for</strong><br>

I love shooting natural landscapes (examples are <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/110752296968089205692/SelectLandscapesImages?noredirect=1">here</a>) with mountains/forests/water and clouds are also important to have, and will have a week in June either in Ann Arbor, MI <em>or</em> in Redmond, WA.<br>

Which area would be better? Any specific locations/ national parks?</p>

<p>I'll have a car, but yours truly is not a fan of long drives (well, unless they're very scenic and have places to stop and make some photos). Some short (up to several hours) hikes can also be a great idea - as long as they serve the main purpose, i.e. making photos.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p> </p><div>00dHvo-556750884.jpg.f8a2bb367cf478099b85a67274dab60d.jpg</div>

<p>Personally, I like the WA option better, but it involves taking a car out to the Olympic Peninsula....great views, hiking, and photo opportunities in a natural environment...or you could go to Seattle and (especially at late afternoon) catch the Olympic mountains contre-jour looking across Elliott Bay, while munching on goodies at the wharf, or even better (I used to do it on business trips when I only had short times available), do a round trip ferry over to Bainbridge Island. Pardon the scratched image...I didn't clean it up before scanning.</p><div>00dHwF-556751184.jpg.630b9c06ce1a01638340976f31951840.jpg</div>

<p>I have nothing to offer regarding Michigan, but the upper peninsula has a reputation for being scenic vacation territory. It's worth exploring farther.</p>

<p>I agree with Stephen about Washington - you'd have no trouble filling a week shooting there. Redmond is across Lake Washington from Seattle, and the area is quite beautiful in summer (the overcast that Seattle is famous for parts in the summer). Do a bit of online research about the Olympic National Park and the Olympic Peninsula - massive photo opportunities there including the Pacific coast. Check a map to see if the driving distance is to your liking. You'll find lodges inside the park, and plenty more lodging and restaurants in Port Angeles on the peninsula. Also research the Cascade Range - mountains like Baker, Ranier, St. Helens, and others also have lots of hiking and photo opportunities (might be more driving than you'd like). Another favorite is the San Juan Islands in Puget Sound. There's a system of ferries that travel among the islands that you can ride alone or you can bring your car - Stephen's photo shows one of the ferries. There are places to stay on some of the islands, too - more online research needed here.</p>

<p>One more - an hour or so north of Seattle is the Skagit Valley (pronounced skaj-it), which is full of farms devoted to flowers - a major part of the flowers sold in florist shops around the country come from here. Consequently, the valley has unique photo opportunities.</p>

<p>There's nothing like the Pacific Northwest - it has everything if you like water, lakes and volcanoes. There's no need to go to the Olympic National Park, it's all around you. I recommend a drive up Mt Rainier, or visit the islands in Puget sound for starters. Olympic is great, but you have to travel around the edge, unless you are into heavy trekking.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>If you're in the Seattle area, it's a short 3 hour drive to get down to Portland, Oregon. That's really not any farther than driving to the Olympic peninsula. The Columbia River gorge is full of scenic waterfalls and short hikes, and is very lush and green this time of year. Between Seattle and Portland you have the options of seeing Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens (probably too early for wildflowers, but you might get some).</p>

<p>For coastal shooting, the really beautiful stuff in WA is out on the Olympic peninsula (Ruby Beach, Second Beach, Shi Shi) and is in the middle of nowhere a long drive away. You might actually be better served by driving south to the Oregon coast... it's almost the same amount of road time and is a much more tourist friendly area with more scenic stuff easily accessible. With a week in the Pacific NW I'd suggest spending a day or two in Seattle (Pike's Market, Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill for the cityscape view), then heading down to Portland catching Mt St Helens visitor center along the way. Spend a day or two in the Columbia River Gorge hiking (Multnomah Falls, Womens Forum viewpoint, Crown Point, Waterfall historic Highway, Rowena point/Hood River if you want to go farther east, be sure to catch Edgefield in Troutdale for a drink and dinner after a long day shooting). Then head to the Oregon coast for another day or two... (Ecolca state park, Cannon Beach, Pacific City/Cape Kiwanda). <br>

<br /> Enjoy your trip! </p>

<p>@Charles - Can't make it two weeks, it's a week sandwiched between two conferences/events, so the dates are pretty much fixed. Your closer locations went on the list though, so thank you!<br /><br /><br>

@Robin Great advice, I'm not a power-hiker, and with 12kg of gear it's even more strenuous<br>

@Sheldon You recommended some beautiful places in Oregon, but I had a chance to visit part of them (Multnomah falls, waterfall road, and Cannon beach with a few hours in Ecola park) a few years back. The visit was way too short to do the area justice, but still - I'd like to see more places.</p>

• 3 months later...