Ultra high contrast B&W slide film

<p>Hi,<br>

Decades ago, I used a slide film that produced black and white images. I mean it was either black or white and no gray at all. I recall that on the developed film, the black part of the image is produced by a silver-colored substance that completely blocked out light.<br>

<br /> I have now totally forgot about the product name. Any other truly black and white slide or film would work for me too. Can someone help me with some suggestions?<br>

<br />Thanks!<br>

<br />Paul</p>

<p>Paul,<br>

Foma currently makes a black-and-white slide film, Fomapan R, though it has quite normal contrast. I've shot two rolls of it in the past few months. The only place I've found that can develop it is dr5Chrome in Colorado. They can also turn B&W negative emulsions into positive transparencies, though I've not tried that personally.<br>

I suppose that whatever process they use could have been used for the high-contrast emulsions of years ago, like Kodak Tech Pan, but again I have no direct experience.</p>

<p>Sounds like Kodalith, although it's normally not a slide film, it's a negative film. But I'm sure it can be reversal processed. Kodalith is discontinued, plate-making is all digital now.<br>

Kodak 2468 is a duplicating microfilm that goes positive with normal D-76 or D-19 processing. Very high resolution, very slow (EI 0.5), but not particularly high contrast.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.dr5.com/"><strong>dr5 Film lab</strong></a> will be temporarily on hiatus toward the end of May while they relocate - the building owner of their current location has sold the property. However their website offers lots of info and tips on techniques for getting the desired results with various types of films and reversal processes.</p>

<p>I used Kodalith a bit, found if I developed it with regular darkroom paper developers it produced a passable continuous tone image, either contact printing or enlarging.</p>

<p>Shoot some b/w negative film and contact print it with Kodalith and it's associated high contrast developer?</p>

<p>I recall that Technical Pan was high contrast when processed in Kodak's D-19 developer. If you can find a film similar to Kodak's Tech Pan and a developer similar to D-19 that might make a good starting point. <br>

BTW, I think Polaroid offered an instant slide film that was ultra high contrast, possibly meant for titles and line drawings.</p>