Yashica electro 35 GX shutter speed

<p>Yashica electro 35 GX has only aperture priority mode. Does that mean, it won't fire if the shutter is slow for the selected aperture. What I mean is, let's say in a sunny day at F4 It needs a faster shutter speed than the maximum it has or it would need me to slow down the aperture. If I insist on F4 and press the shutter, would it still take the photo or the trigger would be locked to prevent the over exposure ? </p>

It's been a while since I took photos with a Yashica Electro 35 GX. I don't remember if it locks the shutter or not. If not, then it would just take an overexposed picture if max shutter speed isn't high enough for aperture set. If you don't want to stop down to a smaller aperture you might consider a neutral density filter. They are inexpensive and work with either color or black & white.

<p>I had a GSN but I think the AP/shutter mechanisms work in similar fashion, although the metering is different. My recollection is that the camera would overexpose if you insisted in shooting when the little red light came on. The instruction manual suggests putting a ND filter on the camera under these circumstances so you get proper exposure.</p>

<p>I am 99% sure the light warns you but the camera treats you like a grown up:) I know the meter is pretty remarkable in low light, and if you stick one of these on a tripod and shoot in low light it will take some pretty long ish exposures which is neat-o if you ask me. Nice lenses too:)</p>

<p>In addition to the Canonet QLIII (and the later GIII), the Konica AUto S2 and Auto S1.6 lock the shutter when outside of autoexposure range. Position of meter needle triggers the shutter lock. The Yashica, btw, without battery will fire shutter at 1/500 second. </p>