F100...

deantaylor

<p>hello</p>

<p>A student asks about the metering system activated when pressing the shutter<br>

release half way--and specifically, unintentionally catching the subtle point<br>

beyond metering, i.e., to release.</p>

<p>This common feature was not much of an issue when using the DSLR--i.e., press it too<br>

far while composing: simply 'delete' the image...</p>

<p>With 35mm film (here, with the F100) we would ask if there is a method<br>

of activating the meter without the risk of losing film--i.e., holding off on<br>

the capture until the composing/metering is complete...</p>

<p>If, in fact, there is no 'fail safe,' perhaps it's simply more finesse...</p>

<p>thank you...</p>

<p><em><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=2085864">Frank P.</a>, May 13, 2015; 04:42 a.m.</em></p>

<p><em>Use the "AF-On" button on the back of the camera.</em></p>

<p>Close, but incorrect.</p>

<p>The AF-On button on the F100 only activates the AF, and has no link to the metering (I'm one of the old guys who bought it shortly after introduction and have actually shot extensively with it. Still have it lying around despite not having used it in earnest for years, and still have the original manual).</p>

<p>The F100 on the other hand also has a AE/AF-L button left of the AF-On button which through the CSM 2.1 option can be programmed to lock the exposure (only, so no longer locks the AF) while recomposing. Keep in mind though that to unlock the 'fixed' exposure (when eg taking a next picture) the AE-L button has to be pushed again.</p>

<p><em>the CSM 21.1 option...</em></p>

<p>for goodness' sake, what a neat thing--we just saved many, many unintentional <br /> 'captures' (learning all the time)...</p>

<p>thanks to the three of you this early Wednesday morning...</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Dean</p>

<p>You might want to extend the time the meter is active as well. It's custom setting 15. 16 seconds is the longest you can have it set to.</p>

<p>You could also just switch the camera off and then on to active the meter again.</p>

<p>The Nikon F100 manual is available online. Might be of interest to your students.<br /> <a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/archive/F100_En.pdf">http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/archive/F100_En.pdf</a></p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Keep in mind though that to unlock the 'fixed' exposure (when eg taking a next picture) the AE-L button has to be pushed again.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>With the F100, doesn't it unlock when the shutter fires (option 3)? In any case, you can also set it only to lock while the button is held (option 1). I don't think there's a 'persistent' AE lock option - i.e., option 3 is equivalent to the dSLR option 'AE lock (Reset on release)', rather than 'AE lock (Hold)'.</p>

<p>http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/004/004bNV-11574684.htm</p>

<p>0: Simultaneous AE / AF lock<br />1: AE lock only<br />2: AF lock only<br />3: AE lock remains after removing finger from button (button toggles AE lock)<br /> <br />Incidentally, I think 'more finesse' is about right - you should rarely take a shot by mistake once you are used to the pressure required for 'half press'.</p>

<p>I'm guessing Dean Taylor's students are shooting in manual mode.</p>

<p>So they don't need to lock the auto exposure, they just want a way to activate the in-camera meter (without using a slight press on the shutter). Some trigger buttons are a bit sensitive so I can see the point.</p>

<p>I don't know, I've shot cameras like the N90s (still shoot two), F100, F4S (still shoot two), F5, all of them have this feature and I rarely lose a frame to such an accident. Teach them to use a little care, practice a bit with no film in the camera. They can and should learn to use it properly. And of course all of my digital gear has always had this and I can use it just fine without a bunch of throwaways. Just my point of view but teaching them a bit of care in this process will hopefully find its way into the rest of their camera work.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>I agree with Rick -- I've rarely if ever had a problem of accidentally firing a frame. And while with AF it's standard to press down halfway to focus, then hold while you recompose, doesn't the meter just stay on once you've lightly touched the release? It's not like you have to keep doing it over and over again. And if you're using manul exposure (which students should be if they are learning photography properly), there should be no need to hold it.</p>