Nikon f70 battery question (rechargeable options?)

gnashings

<p>Hi All,<br>

<br />I have a Nikon F70 which gets used rather seldom, as a result, I seem to get a new set of batteries, the camera gets used and either due to sheer length of time or genius user (uhm... me...) leaving it on after said use - well, I don't get much mileage out of the batteries. They are quite pricy I find, especially in this occasional use mode, on a dollar per frame of film basis, and most of all its so annoying when you reach for that camera because hey, it needs some love (or I need a camera which can be used by a friend or relative of the "what do you mean I have to focus???" variety...)- and you have to abort due to dead batteries.<br>

So... I thought, in this wonderful modern age we live in - I will just get some rechargeable batteries! They're all the rage and mother Earth will love me, hippies will hug me, and I will save money and aggravation . But, I see that most, if not all, of the apparent replacements do not match the 3V rating of the CR123 - most if not all, are higher, usually 3.7V.<br>

<br />Has anyone used rechargeable substitutes for CR123's? If so, which ones? Does this camera specifically have any kind of voltage regulation circuitry? Your input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance</p>

<p>Peter -</p>

<p>Just go to amazon.com and enter the search ...<br>

" rechargeable lithium ion rcr123a " and viola ! :o)</p>

<p>I use them in a light meter. Work just fine and seem to last as long as the originals, but obviously they can be recharged many times.</p>

<p>Jim M</p>

<p>Thank you Jim, that sounds encouraging - but I am still concerned with the voltage issue vis a vis use in the camera. I have a feeling that there is some kind of voltage regulation, I just know that the old CR123 at full charge would peak at 3.2V and almost right away drop below 3V under load - hence my concern with sticking something that has a much higher peak voltage into the camera. I suppose it is a practically free for the asking camera... would still feel wasteful to fry it;)</p>

<p>Peter ...</p>

<p>I'm confused by your comment.</p>

<p>The rechargeable RCR123a are 3.00 volt batteries, not "higher peak voltage" as you say.</p>

<p>The standard one time use Duracell CR123 (or the equivalent CR123a) is listed as a capacity of 1550 maH. These rechargeables are all apparently 900 maH.</p>

<p>So, there is no way they can "over power" any device.</p>

<p>Jim M.</p>

<p>I just bought an N80 (F80 to you) and it also takes the CR123 batteries, but it came without any so I had to look around for a set. I found some at a local Walgreen's and they wanted like $12 each for them! No way was I gonna pay that much. So I went online and found these guys:</p>

<p>http://www.cr123batteries.com/</p>

<p>Cheapest CR123 batteries by far, I'll wager. I bought four, figuring it would be handy having a spare set. They also sell the rechargeable ones, if that's what you prefer.</p>

<p>BTW, their shipping was extremely fast. I had my batteries two days after placing my order.</p>

<p>I was told that the rechargeable equivalent is something called an RCR123, and if you look at the specs of most of them, they are either 3.7V or 4.2V. But it appears like the ones in the link provided by Colin <strong>state quite clearly they ARE 3v,</strong> just like the actual cr123's - so thank you for that, I honestly must have been looking further than I needed to and missed the obvious which should have been right under my nose. Either way - this is exactly what I need, so thank you again.</p>

<p>I bought a few 223 packs, which are two 123's in a plastic package, for about $1 each in the bargain bin at a nearby store. I think they are a little old, but seem to work. <br>

But how much do the rechargable ones, plus the appropriate charger, cost?</p>

-- glen

<p>I could have sworn I saw such a creature in the past (the double 123's), and actually looked for them a while back but I guess they are not very popular anymore. So much so that I started to question my sanity and thought I made the whole thing up:) Thanks for making me feel a little less crazy!</p>

<p>Thank you again for all your input and suggestions, it has been most helpful and I am grateful to have access to so many brains to pick and so many folks taking the time to help out! Thank you!</p>