Canon EOS 3 needs to be repaired - what could be wrong with it, take a look

ariel_perez2

<p>I recently got a beautiful, in pristine exterior shape, Canon EOS 3.<br /> I’ve ran 2 rolls of film through and have been getting what it seems like way underexposed images.<br /> I used the in-camera meter on the first roll and my hand held Sekonic for the 2nd roll and got pretty much the same results, dark, muddy, underexposed images. <br /> I tested the shutter for accuracy and the slower speeds (1 second, 2 seconds, 1/30th, etc) sound accurate, not sure about faster speeds though.<br /> What do you think might be wrong with it?<br /> Who repairs these type of cameras nowdays? <br /> Thanks in advance for your help -<br /> I want to try to save this gem of a camera if at all possible.<br /> Ariel ::<br /><br /></p>

<div>00dO4t-557585584.jpg.5c1113b3bb13861938a7627d21f78b58.jpg</div>

<p>From the information given I would suspect the problem is with the lens rather than the camera. Set it to manual focus, manual exposure and say, one second and F8, and look into the front of the lens as you fire it. Do it with different apertures. Does the aperture stop down correctly? Certainly also, try cleaning the electrical contacts between lens and camera.</p>

<p>If it is the camera, frankly no matter how nice it is it's unlikely that you will find anyone to repair it, depending on where you are in the world. Even if you did the cost would probably be far higher than the cost of a replacement working camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Set the body to Av mode. Dial in f/16 and, using the depth of field preview, check that the lens iris closes up properly. Repeat for f/8 etc.<br>

With a film loaded check that the body has read the ISO speed properly.<br>

Rick Oleson describes how to use a CRT TV or monitor to check faster shutter speeds.<br>

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-135.html<br>

I don't know whether this works with LCD TVs.<br>

Put the camera in manual mode and set the exposure by hand to what your Sekonic meter says. See if the pictures are correctly exposed then.<br>

If the body is faulty it almost certain that it will not be economic to have it repaired.</p>

<p>Henry</p>